Demasoni Or Kenyi?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by ThePuzzleMaker, Apr 13, 2018.

1. T

ThePuzzleMaker Valued Member Member

Hello guys, a while back I bought what I thought were demasoni cichlids. Now that they are growing up some have began to change color into a brighter blue, yellowy color.
    Then I realized that kenyi cichlids and Demasoni are really similar.
    I can't really figure what species they are so I hope you can help me.
    Ps: the brighter color ones are bigger than the darker color one.
    Here are some pictures of the brighter colored ones.

Attached Files:

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I’d say those or kenyi. Demasoni do not change color whereas kenyi males turn yellow and females stay blue. Plus their stripe patterns are different.

3. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

AGreed, the blue-striped one is most likely a young Kenyi male 'turning golden'. All the yellows appear to be Labidochromis caeruleus though, male Kenyi will usually have dark vertical barring across the body and have a slightly different head shape.

4. OP
    OP
    T

The yellow ones are electric yellows, that I knew when I bough them. The kenyi were the ones that didn`t convince me.
    Thank you! :)

5. Five 97

Okay, thanks for the clarification! Yeah, the blue fish is definitely not P. demasoni for sure.

6. OP
    OP
    T

I know venting is the only way to tell the sex of cichlids. But the spot on the anal fin could also mean it`s a male right? talking about the electric yellow btw.

7. Five 97

Correct, venting is the only sure way to tell these guys apart, egg spots aren't a reliable indicator of sex and neither is the black on the fins. Egg spots are pretty generic for Malawis, both males and females may have them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice