Demasoni Fry

RonP

My Demasoni, 1 male, 5 female are regularly producing fry. I see them only at feeding times.
It is a typical rocky 40 gallon cichlid tank, and I just cannot catch them for moving to safety in a private tank I have ready.
Are there any good techniques to net these wee guys? They get eaten eventually right now.

Demeter

I find it easiest to stick the net at the opening of whatever crevice you think they are in and stick your fingers into the back of the cave to scare them out and into the net. Chasing them with a net doesn't often work too well, it's much easier to herd them into a waiting net either with your hand or another net. Another option is if they aren't getting eaten and are getting their share of food then leave them be. Otherwise you'll have to tear the rock piles down to really get them all.

If you want to raise them separately in the future then I suggest you keep track of when females start holding so you can pull females out and strip the fry after 2.5 weeks.

RonP

Thinking of stripping is scary for me. Will try the net solution. It looks to be possible where they are hanging out.
Thank you.

Demeter

Good luck with the little guys, they are quick buggers!

Stripping fry is actually very easy. I use a small bucket or a specimen container and either a tooth pick or preferably a closed safety fin or paper clip to hold the female's mouth open. Rarely doesn't anything bad happen, if it does then it's only just one or two fry that get hurt but 2 dying out of the 30+ isn't a big deal IMO. My females go straight back to eating minutes after having their fry stripped. Youtube has good videos on it if you ever want to give it a go.

RonP

Can you be strip at any time that a female is holding? I will give it a try in future. I appreciate the helpful responses..

Demeter

You can strip whenever but unless you want to tumble the eggs/wiggler fry it’s better to strip them when they are free swimming or close to it. Normal incubation time is about 3 weeks so 2.5 weeks should be good.

Sometimes, when I don’t want to raise the fry I’ll strip the female and feed the eggs/fry back to the adults. Sounds mean but ehh.

RonP

Failed the net trick first try, lol. The male insisted on hanging near the net. No fry showed..

RonP

Update:
I have been unsuccessful capturing the fry.,but 3 Demasoni have survived to about .5 to .75 inch and are swimming visibly.
Next problem will be too many of them, lol

Top Bottom