Dehumidifiers Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by andrewhoya, Apr 2, 2010.

1. andrewhoyaNew MemberMember

Hi there,

I have two 10 gallons, and am planning on getting another one around 40ish gallons. Should I also get a dehumidifier to keep mold away, or will I be okay?

Thanks in advance. :)

(All the tanks would be in one bedroom, which is 15' 8" x 11' 6"

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Andrewhoya and Welcome to Fish Lore.

I've never had any issues with my fish tanks causing mold. I would think that if one was required it would be needed if the tank was in the room or not. If you already have mold then it might be something you want to consider.

I'm sure you'll get some more responses soon.
    I hope you enjoy the site!
    KEn

3. OP
    OP
    a

andrewhoyaNew MemberMember

Thanks for your response; the only thing I was worried about was all of the tanks in a smaller room; I just added the dimensions as you posted :)

4. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

All of my tanks 4 of them including my 265g are in one room 14x12.
    Keep your eye on things and see if you start seeing mold then I'd consider one. I wouldn't rush out and buy one unless I knew it were necessary.

Ken

5. OP
    OP
    a

Sounds good, thank you :)

6. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

I have my 4 smallest tanks in my room and I get quite a bit of condensation which does lead to some mold. The 2 biggest ones are open topped however.

7. OP
    OP
    a

How big is the room? Thanks!

8. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

Tiny compared to yours, at an estimate, 8ft by 11ft

9. cm11599ps

cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

Back when I lived with my parents I had a 10 gallon tank in my bedroom that was about 10x10 and had a window. The tank had a full hood on it. I also had a window mount air conditioner in the summer. My closet doors were floor to ceiling mirrored panels.

For the years I DIDN'T have the tank in my room, my room was fine. For the years I DID have the tank in my room with the AC, my mirrored closet doors would be loaded with condensation, kind of like when you step out of the shower and look in your bathroom mirror.

I don't think a dehumidifier will hurt you if you buy one. You're only out the cost of the unit plus electricity. If I ever get around to my 300-500 gallon tank I plan on getting a dehumidifier for that area. Not only will it help with the fish tank evaporation, but being the tank location is a room 1/2 buried in the ground it's a good idea to get one.

A dehumidifer will dry your skin though. During the cold/dry winter here my skin gets very itchy and irritated. Not until it warms up a bt does my skin get better.

10. OP
    OP
    a

Interesting, thank you. :;f

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice