Deformed sword tail fry, what to do with it?

ler05

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My swordtail gave birth a few days ago, some were born dead, some were still in eggs, 2 are normal and 18 are deformed with bent spines. I have the fry in a little separate tank and the deformed fry have a hard time swimming but are eating the first bites food. A few of them seem to straighten out. What do I do with the little deformed fish? The can swim around fine on the ground but not up.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Give them a bit of time to see if they get better. If not, you can find someone with a fish that would eat them (or give them to the LFS as feeders), keep them if you think they can get around well enough, or euthanize them with the clove oil and vodka method.

-Lisa

ler05

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks! I have 3 tanks total and one has hungry gouramis that would be more than happy to eat the fry but of course I am hoping that they may get better and have a chance of survival and are just "special".

ler05

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The deformed fry didn't grow at all, after 2 weeks there was a huge size difference between the normal and deformed fry. The deformed fry started dying after about 2 weeks.

fishyfishyfishy13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you still have any I would feed them to your gouramis.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All the fry that I get that don't develop right I feed to my Bettas, or if it isnt too bad, a variety of foods usually fixes it up nicely

ler05

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The 2 healthy ones are growing really fast and look great, I put the really deformed fry in my tank and my zebra danios ate them. The gouramis didn't have any interest in eating them.

swordgecko

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to Fish Lore. Give them some time and see what happens, if they just are not worth keeping try to feed them to another fish, because they are very good nutrients!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads