Help Deformed spine, very pregnent and suspected dropsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My poor little Elena isnt doing very good. i couldnt find her at all this morning (mind you, this is a rather empty 10 gallon we're talking about) and this afternooon i found her very puffed up at the back of the tank where i could barley reach her with the net. She already has some crazy spinal issues. one of her sides is competely flat and the other goes waaaay out on the other side, kinda like a 'C,' and to top it off, she's very pregnent. her scales are raised around her stomach and front, and she hasnt eaten much since i got her (in February), tho she is waaay better looking since then. i scooped her up and left the net in the tank and put about and 1/8 of an algea waffer in next to her because she cant swim very well. she has a lot of internal bleeding too. lots of red patches under her skin, around her gravid spot, which is also a blotchy red and still really big. did i diagnos right? and is there anything i can do for her? she looks so pathetic all slumped over on her side... T_T

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm so sorry she's sick. She really sounds like she's suffering and has no quality of life. I'm not sure there is anything you can do for her.

-Lisa

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
she's not even tryong to move around at this point, and her colors have paled alot. even poking the net doesnt get a response... she's still really young too, under a year i think.

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well i decided not to do it last night, for at least the fact that it was late and i have finals this week (ew...) and im rather glad i did. she ate her waffer today and is a little less puffed up and a bit more alert looking. she's not slumped over ant more and her fins are nice a spread out, but she's still hanging out in the bottom of the net. i dunno if its normal for an improvement before a bigger crash or not tho. i've never experienced this before (i've only delt with fish lice and ICH)

P.S. she has a buddy now too! i found a single fry hiding out behind the net when i got home and scooped him up and crushed up some flakes for him.

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good glad to hear it, hopefully she will continue to get better! You made a good call, nice job!
i hope so! she so pretty, i would hate lose her. her fins are so big compared to her noodly little body, and i hope Howl Jr II gets a hit at her, because he's got big fins too! his doral fin is like a piece of blue silk -is plotting- <3

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
here he his <3 his tail is curved in a bit, so u dont get to see its full length, but u get to see his dorsal fin and is silly colors XD his tail is just under 1/2 his total length and the best part is he still has a bit of growing to do! if Elena gets better, i'll try to get a pic of her too, she's a cutey <3

Attachments

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well, i had to flusk Elena tonight. got home a few minutes a ago to her belly-up in the bottom of the net, looking worse then she did yesterday. oh well, she was looking pretty pathetic anyway and you can only shove so many guppies into a 10 gallon (XD). at least she was happier that she was at the petstore tho, and got meals or daily basis lol

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well, i had to flusk Elena tonight. got home a few minutes a ago to her belly-up in the bottom of the net, looking worse then she did yesterday. oh well, she was looking pretty pathetic anyway and you can only shove so many guppies into a 10 gallon (XD). at least she was happier that she was at the petstore tho, and got meals or daily basis lol
awww I am so sorry :'(
Well she is swimming in the big fish tank in the sky. You did give her a good life and it was much better than what she could have ended up having. :console:

hyun007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Best Remedy is below:

Get a bowl of ice water with many ice in it and put the sick(you know it will die) fish in there.
It will send it to heaven within seconds.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry to hear about Elena. Hopefully her one little fry will be cool!

The clove oil and vodka method is preferred over the ice/freezer method because the former is totally pain-free, the fish just falls asleep and never wakes up.

-Lisa

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
im not sure whoes fry it was, actually. it could have been hers, but i think it was one of Howl Jr II sisters. i found him (it, whatever) behind the net so i scooped it up real quick before i scared it away. of course i lost track of here it went when i let out so i could flush Elena and i couldnt put it back in there. i'll find it when i do a water change tho, and put it in the breeders net with my 25+ other fry so its not lonely =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 59 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.8%

Top Bottom