deformed ranchu goldfish rescue

1. B

BettaGoldfishPleco New Member Member

I went to my lfs a few weeks ago and saw this obviously deformed fish. one eye, short stubby fins..struggling to swim. I wasn't able to get him though... i came back today and saw him again. he looked the same so i got him. I was wondering if he will die faster than the others... or if there are special ways to feed him or whatever... here's a good explanantion of him. one eye is perfect, other side is a big gaping hole where an eye would be. his tail is only about half a centimer long, and angled more to the right. the fins by the side off his face are MINI and he hardly even uses them. I was wondering if there will be any problems in the future... and how should i help him? he's in a 60 gallon tank with a black ranchu his size and a fantail a bit smaller than him. please help it's urgent as i do not want this guy to die! (I cycled my tank for 4 months) i also tested the water and everything is in perfect condition.

2. BlackNotebookTanks

BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

With those shortie fins, he could have serious fin rot. Try giving the Goldie a salt bath to ease him and boost his immune system. Feed him de-shelled peas. If they're is a current or power head in your tank, try to lessen the flow of water somehow so he doesn't stress himself further trying to swim with his lil fins. As for the missing eye, if you have an anti bacterial medication on hand, I'd dose that for him to make sure he's not Infected with anything. Just keep a very close eye on him. If the worst comes to the worst and he isn't recovering at all, or getting worse, clove oil (euthanasia) might be the only option.... But with that said, I hope that you can nurse the lil Goldie back to health!

Also, if in the future he does recover but has stunted fin growth, there are cosmetic repair surgeries that you can try doing yourself to kick-start fin growth again. The King Of DIY, did a video on this. He surgically removed parts of his Silver arowanas fins and they grew beautifully as he recovered. Hope this helps!

3. OP
    OP
    B

ok, i'll try that. when i bought him they said they were just about to put in in the freezer... he's actually very active so i think he has a chance!

since he's with 2 other unharmed fish about his size should i just treat the whole tank just in case?

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't add salt to the entire tank.

Can you give specific water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

He might need stronger meds like an antibiotic. Large, frequent water changes would help heal him too. Do you have a quarantine tank you can put him in?

5. OP
    OP
    B

no, i dont have a quarantine tank... I can buy a 20-30 gallon storage bin though? uh oh the water quality has changed. nitrites and nitrates have both dropped???? GH: 180 KH:120 PH:8.0 Nitrite: 0.5 nitrate:20 ammonia: 0 i just put in sand/gravel i think that might be the cause of some things changing a bit.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Nitrites should be 0 in a cycled tank. Nitrites are very toxic for fish. I'd do a water change now.

Yes, a 20-30 gal storage bin would be fine (as long as it's food safe) for a QT tank. Can you get a filter for it? You can move some of your media from your established tank to the container to help it cycle (or instant cycle if you can add enough media). Daily water changes would be great for this fish in the QT anyway though.

7. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Yes to a 20-30 gallon storage tank with a filter for quarantine. Look for the thread by Peacefantasy about her attacked Betta with Horrible fin rot who is starting to recover.

8. OP
    OP
    B

ok, doing a 25 percent change now

ok im filling up the storage bin

9. S

Secret Oasis Valued Member Member

I hope recovery goes well for the little guy. You may want to recommend to the LFS to use clove oil if they have to put down fish. i just cringed when i read that they were going to put him in the freezer thats a painful way to die.

10. OP
    OP
    B

yes i heard them talking about him in the back they were like "you see that lil guy in tank g416?" "yeah he's not getting bought lets take them to the freezer" i RUSHED and bought him very fast! I also figured out the little guy's favourite things are veggie clips????? lol. i put 3 in his tank with lettuce and he pulled out the lettuce and ate it then he went onto just swimming around the clips.... he's so playful i love him :)

11. S

Secret Oasis Valued Member Member

Thats good to hear :) its always good when fish are active and eating

12. OP
    OP
    B

I was expecting him to just lay down on a piece of driftwood or something since he pretty much has so fins! (the only fins he have are mini) but he's very active and swimming around like a champ!

13. Mom2some

Have you looked at the pictures of Peacefantasy's Betta with horrible fin rot?

14. OP
    OP
    B

no, i'll look it up. Mine has no tail..... lol

15. OP
    OP
    B

heres the poor little guy. I named him Harlow [​IMG]

16. OP
    OP
    B

sorry about bad quality.

17. Mom2some

Hi Harlow! Poor thing. Did they actually make you pay for a fish they were going to euthanize?

18. OP
    OP
    B

no they gave it to me for free. I would have paid for it though.

19. OP
    OP
    B

uh oh! URGENT!!!! he's been fine and active for the past few days now he rests around and is looking lethargic... the only time he moves around is when he gets scared like when i feed him

20. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

EDIT: Post above was edited, now mine doesn't make sense.

What's the urgent? that he moves away from your hand?