Deformed Neon Tetra?

Naleli

Reaction score
Hello, I recently bought 6 neon tetra for my 10 gal tank. Once I brought them home I noticed one of them had a severely curved spine. He eats the food I put in there and swims around fine with the other neons. Is he sick or does he just have something like scoliosis?
20180512_223812.jpg
20180512_155914.jpg

Inno

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
He has a spine problem for sure. Sometimes breeders will cull fry with deformations. I would just give him a good nick name and let him enjoy his tank.

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Inno said:
He has a spine problem for sure. Sometimes breeders will cull fry with deformations. I would just give him a good nick name and let him enjoy his tank.
I had a guppy who had severe bends to her spine. Her tail fin was actually twisted 90 degrees so it worked up and down as opposed to side to side. She was my favourite and we called her twitchy.

FishLoverEmma0

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Naleli said:
Hello, I recently bought 6 neon tetra for my 10 gal tank. Once I brought them home I noticed one of them had a severely curved spine. He eats the food I put in there and swims around fine with the other neons. Is he sick or does he just have something like scoliosis?
View attachment 437801 View attachment 437802
Yep, its definitely deformed. It could have been a normal rare birth defect, a young injury, or had come from an extremely large inbreeding line. You should take good care of him.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He s deformed all right. I have noticed deformed spines being more and more common in guppies and neons due to the way they have been bred over the years.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom