Deformed Killis

Why did two of my killis become deformed?

• They weren’t like this when I bought them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The other killis I bought with them are normal.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

cdl2386

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I thought I was posting a question, not making a poll. I’m obviously new to this.

cdl2386

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Arades said:
The sunken belly may indicate internal parasites.
Their bellies aren’t so much sunken in as their backs are arched like a camel hump. It wouldn’t hurt to treat them for internal parasites in case that’s the cause. Thank you!

cdl2386

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
shiv234 said:
their spines are deformed
That is what they look like but they weren’t that way when I bought them. Why/how did that change in the last couple of months? I bought 5 at the same time and these are the only two to do this.

shiv234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
cdl2386 said:
That is what they look like but they weren’t that way when I bought them. Why/how did that change in the last couple of months? I bought 5 at the same time and these are the only two to do this.
Tank mates?

shiv234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
cdl2386 said:
i meant what tank mates you have..I was just trying to shorten my sentence. Go anything semi aggressive in there What filter do you have?

ralph113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My killi has the same thing. but he has junmped out of the tank many times attempting to bite me. has bitten me many times

cdl2386

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine try to nibble at me when doing water changes but nothing bad. I had one of them jump out when going for food. I try to be very careful when the lid is open now. They seem to be healthy but look pitiful with their curvy bodies.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've seen killies deformed like that, but they were always deformed from birth. Not sure what could cause it in partially grown fish. Only thing that comes to my mind is water chemistry or lack of proper nutrition.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the curvature developed with time, with that species, I would euthanize the fish asap. For some reason, that species, lineatus, seems very prone to Mycobacter marinum - fish tuberculosis. It is an incurable, communicable bacterial disease. The fish will develop cysts to encase the bacteria, and if the internal lesions are along the spine - that's what you see. Teh cyst grows and the spine can't develop

If you dare to mention fish tb on forums, people can get upset. We don't all have labs handy to wait a few months for a culture to come back, to be certain. I will happily admit I could be wrong - but the species, the fact it is a fishfarm colour variety (not wild), and the development of the deformity in a previously healthy fish add up, to me. Tb is dangerous when the cysts finally break down and the bacteria encased escapes to spread. I would not want that fish in my tank when that happens, as it inevitably will if the poor thing is afflicted.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom