Deformed guppy

yukiyamallama

WOah that is quite severe. I would separate it from other same sex guppies because it is possible that trait would be carried out onto the other fry it would have. That is a result of too much sibling breeding if I recall correctly.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Hi Robynl,
That is reasonably common when strict records are not kept or followed in regards to who breeds with who. To achieve a new colour strain or tail shape fish are breed back with their grandparents . In a community tank sons breed with mother’s and daughters etc. With careful planning it’s possible to limit this kind of thing. As written above you need to stop that fish breeding with your other fish one way or another.

When this happens in the wild they are food for the predators and give the stronger fish time to escape.

OP
RobynI

RobynI

Flyfisha said:
Hi Robynl,
That is reasonably common when strict records are not kept or followed in regards to who breeds with who. To achieve a new colour strain or tail shape fish are breed back with their grandparents . In a community tank sons breed with mother’s and daughters etc. With careful planning it’s possible to limit this kind of thing. As written above you need to stop that fish breeding with your other fish one way or another.

When this happens in the wild they are food for the predators and give the stronger fish time to escape.
Oh wow, I really did not think there was inbreeding occurring but I guess it’s possible. Thanks v much for advice and feedback

Gone

Well Known
RobynI said:
Oh wow, I really did not think there was inbreeding occurring but I guess it’s possible. Thanks v much for advice and feedback
The natural wild guppy is a much smaller, less colorful fish than fancy guppies sold in stores. The fact is all fancy guppies are the result of mutations occurring from inbreeding. Guppies have the ability to be inbred quite a bit before issues such as bent spines become a problem, that's why it can be done with guppies where most other fish would quickly deteriorate over generations. With selective breeding, most breeders will run at least two lines of the same strain in their fish rooms. Then they can periodically line cross to improve vigor. If the fish are unrelated, even if they look the same any cross will produce fish that don't look anything like the parents. It's when lines have gone too long without any crosses that genetic deformities occur.

OP
RobynI

RobynI

GuppyDazzle said:
The natural wild guppy is a much smaller, less colorful fish than fancy guppies sold in stores. The fact is all fancy guppies are the result of mutations occurring from inbreeding. Guppies have the ability to be inbred quite a bit before issues such as bent spines become a problem, that's why it can be done with guppies where most other fish would quickly deteriorate over generations. With selective breeding, most breeders will run at least two lines of the same strain in their fish rooms. Then they can periodically line cross to improve vigor. If the fish are unrelated, even if they look the same any cross will produce fish that don't look anything like the parents. It's when lines have gone too long without any crosses that genetic deformities occur.
Thanks, I bought the adult males and adult females from separate aquarium stores. They have produced many fry, some quite spectacular. This poor fish is the first odd bod. Thanks v much for the insights

New Threads