Deformed betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Indigo8520, Jul 29, 2015.

1. I

Indigo8520 New Member Member

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place...but here it is. I went to buy a betta and the employee who took care of the fish in the pet store noticed I was picking one out. She asked me if I was interested in adopting one for free. I asked why that particular fish was up for adoption. When she showed him to me I noticed a large bump into his back. He was very lively despite the deformity. She said he had been around for a while because nobody wanted to buy him. Being involved in animal rescue; I gladly adopted him. His bump did not affect him and he loved swimming around his tank. His deformity has now gotten worse. He is now curved and is having trouble swimming. He now lays on the bottom of the tank. He is still going up for air of course. This has been going on for about two weeks so I feel nothing else is wrong with him and he is not in the process of dying. Is there anything I can do to help him? Please let me know. Sorry for such a long post.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Good to have you here! :D

I agree, a picture might help. :)

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle (words will be link to article, please read if needed). Also what size tank, and is it filtered and heated?

If the betta is in an uncycled tank (or an unfilltered, unheated tank) that could be the cause if your problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice