Deformed Babies - What now?

1. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

One of my guppies had some babies today and we were able to save three of them. They are currently in a breeder net with 4 babies from about two weeks ago. One of the babies has a deformed spine It can't really swim straight and rests a lot. I know the main option for deformed fish is euthanasia but I really want to give this little guy a chance. If he survives the test of time, I will be putting it into my planted nano tank and the only other thing in there is shrimp, so I can lower the water flow with a diffusion nozzle and that can be his home. Any thoughts? Will it survive with care? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Aster Well Known Member Member

If it majorly affects his swimming, the kindest thing to do would be euthanasia. He'll be weaker than the rest and unable to compete for food. If it's only a slight problem, he might make it.

3. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

I'll monitor him closely for the next few days and if he isn't doing well I may move it to its own tank. If the little guy is suffering, then I will euthanise

4. MuskieCatcher Member Member

I still have a little tetra who has a bit of scoliosis, but he seems to be able to swim just as fast as the rest, and he does fine, just looks funny. As long as he can move easily, he should be okay

5. BellatheBetta Member Member

by himself in the planted one it should be fine- if he survives. if it looks like it will be causing him considerable pain the euthanise him for his own benefit, it is kinder.

6. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Don't euthanise him yet! I had a molly fry with a curved back like that and it made a full recovery! If he is still eating, don't give up!
    ~Mudkipz

7. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with AtomicMudkip, I've had several fish that I've purchase who have had curved spines(one was in the shape of a z), become almost completely healed. They only had a small curve. I say give him a chance.:)

8. sunshine2012 Member Member

I have an adult guppy that is still like that and she has done great! I also have a baby guppy and she is like that but really bad and is doing very well also. Don't give up I'm sure if the baby is eating it will make it

When I get home ill post a picture of the baby if it will let me so you can see and one of the other one that has made it.

9. Aster Well Known Member Member

Whether or not the fish can recover depends on the nature of the condition. If it's genetic, there is no way that the spine will fix itself. If it's due to vitamin deficiency, correct feeding and lighting will heal it.

Being that he's a fry, it's more likely that it's genetic than a vitamin deficiency. Just keep him separated for now, and if he does pull through make sure he can't reproduce and spread the gene.

10. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. I'm going to give this little dude the best chance of survival I can! I don't care what it takes. If this guy has a chance, I'm going to make him live (even if it breaks my bank!) You go lil guppy bro! Thank you everyone

11. sunshine2012 Member Member

Here are a couple of pictures of a baby and the other one is still a baby but a little bigger. Sorry about the pictures, I tried to get good ones. [​IMG][​IMG]

12. ashleyb Member Member

My mom has a guppy with a curved spine, it almost looks like a complete S shape. And he rules the roost! He is competitive for food and just as active as the rest of her gups. None of his fry has come out deformed either, he's in a tank with only one other male and 9 females.

13. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Awh gee! That lil guy looks friggin adorable! Theres something about disabled animals that just makes my heart melt Maybe its because of my bro? Hehehe well anyways, may your guppy stay safe and strong Rock on lil guppy!

14. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Yay! These success stories make me think there is a world of hope for this little guy! I'm going to make his life easy as pie ^_^ Its amazing how your guppies deformities have skipped the future generations! It must have been an isolated non-hereditary anomaly. Poor lil dude but hey, hes a dad now right!

15. sunshine2012 Member Member

Thank you. Baby guppy is just as fast and eats just fine as the others. I'm so happy this baby has made it, I wasn't sure at first, but hey why kill it off when it should have a chance in life and live as long as it can.