Definitive Fish Temperature List

1. Miaw

Miaw Valued Member Member

It seems that there's a lot of conflicting information about temperatures for fish online. People might post some fish and get told they have conflicting temperatures when other sources say something else.

Where could we find a list of "correct" fish temperatures? As it stands it seems they only pop up when someone lists some fish.

2. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Fishbase.org and seriouslyfish.com They are great websites not 100% accurate but as good as it comes.

3. BHK3

BHK3 Well Known Member Member

Seriouslyfish.com was recommended to me by a couple well-reputed Fishlore members. I haven't been steered wrong on here yet, so while I do research on a bunch of different sites, if there's conflicting info that's the site I'll defer to.

4. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

That would be a great resource for the forum. A list of the 100 most common species, their common name(s), and an accurate temperature range of their natural habitat, followed by the most likely ideal temperature to keep them at permanently. A few members may be walking around with all of this information in their heads, but it still would be at least a few hours work to compile such a list. Great idea.

5. OP
    OP
    Miaw

Miaw Valued Member Member

Here's an example of where this has cropped up. Peppered Corydoras. 21C was given as their max temperature for them to be happy in one post.

Corydoras paleatus (Pepper Cory) says 22-26C (72-78F)
    http://fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?ID=10926&AT=peppered says 18-23C (no F given) at least it gives a reference of a book written in 1992. No information on the book and on the book's reference, or whether the book did experiments etc. Or whether it is some significant book to the trade. I couldn't find a pdf or anything to find out why to trust it more than other sources.

It's nice to properly find out these things rather than potentially be wrong and taking unnecessary steps.

I suppose a list with reasons backing the data would be even better :D

6. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Best is to try to find the temperatures of their natural habitats. Seriouslyfish.com is usually correct, I say usually because it is one of the many sites that gives Corydoras Paleatus a wrong 20-26 temperature range.
    For Corydoras and other catfish I think one of the best sources is PlanetCatfish.com as lots of people there have gone to the habitats where the fish live and have seen the temperatures first hand. For everything else SeriouslyFish and Fishbase are often good. I like Fishbase because it gives references.

Look for the Parana river temperatures in the north east of argentina and you will see Paleatus never stays at 20-26 in the wild. The average temperature they would experience in the wild is about 18 Celsius, colder in winter and warmer in summer (24 Celsius is already on the top of their scale).

7. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I pretty much look at several different sources such as seriousfish.com, fishbase, fishlore, plantedtank, and planetcatfish then aim for the middle.