Definitely worth a look :)

1. kwhitworth83 Member Member

I just discovered the artwork of Jason DeCaires Taylor and thought I would share. He creates sculptures out of concrete and other safe materials then sinks them in the ocean to serve as artificial reefs for coral and all sorts of marine life.

http://www.underwatersculpture.com

2. WiFi Well Known Member Member

That is so cool its almost to the point of being a little creepy! LOL ;)

3. kwhitworth83 Member Member

I know! The sculptures are so life-like I half expect them to open their eyes.

4. smee82 Well Known Member Member

thats nice rtwork

5. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Where is this being done?

Very interesting.

6. kwhitworth83 Member Member

He's currently working in the Canary Islands. There is a collection of over 500 sculptures off the coast of Cancun and a smaller collection off the coast of Granada. You can read up on his work on the website :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Read the whole site, thanks. Fascinating!

8. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Woh that's crazy!!
    It's really neat how the fish school around them and the corals are beautiful.
    It is very creepy tho, like Idk if I would be able to dive around there haha but i would try ;)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. kwhitworth83 Member Member

I would love to check it out in person some day. I agree it is a bit creepy. The sculptures are so real I feel like I am looking at a person being swallowed by the ocean. I can't imagine spending all that time creating something so amazing and detailed just to have the detail covered. But the artist finds his work fulfilling and he is definitely doing something that hasn't been overdone before.

10. celizabethh3 Member Member

Those are amazing! I love the corals too. So beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum