Deficiency ID please Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Lyfeoffishing, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Lyfeoffishing

Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Okay I cut my sword to no leaves about a week ago and now it has 4 new leaves that's are slightly brown and not looking to good. Can anyone help me all other plants in tank look great (wisteria, Cabomba, S. Repens, bunch of crypts and flame moss).

[​IMG]z

2. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Valued Member Member

I think it may be a phosphate excess.

3. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Kindafishy - There is no such thing as "phosphate excess" or any real excess for plants. Tom Barr has proven that having more nutrients then needed by plants doesn't hurt anything, unless you go WAY WAY WAY overboard, like adding BOTTLES of fertilizers. This is the basis for his "Estimative Index" fertilizing method where you give the plants more then what they need, so you know they are not lacking in any particular element.

As for your plants, it's hard to tell by the photo. Many times new growth looks a bit different than established leaves. Here is a basic chart that shows some deficiencies for most plants.....

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98529

Since you say that your other plants are doing fine, I would assume that this one is ok too. Give it some time and keep an eye on things.

4. OP
    OP
    Lyfeoffishing

Yeah I thought that was the case of excuss. Maybe I'll have to let them go for another week or so and see how they turn out.

5. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Valued Member Member

I am no plant expert by any stretch of the imagination, but am learning.

I had seen many posts on a few different boards suggesting brown leaves being caused by phosphate excess, however. That's why I threw it out there.

6. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

My feelings on plants are this...

If they are growing, they have everything that's needed. And to piggy back off of Dolfan's point, "excess" nutrients is really like having excess vitamins in our own body; we just don't use them.

7. OP
    OP
    Lyfeoffishing

Hey man no worries there I'm new to plants and tanks in general too. But I think dolfan is right it's really hard to get to much excuses of nutrients.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice