Defective White Clouds?

Osse
A few months ago I got 12 White Cloud Mountain Minnows. 8 of them died, one after another (as in not at the same time), the same way. I'd see them start sinking when they weren't swimming, their back gets kind of an angle to it (normally a nice curve, but then their tail starts to droop down), they have to constantly swim in order not to sink, they start hanging out near the surface getting gulps of air, eventually they seem to run out of strength and just sink to the bottom, swimming spastically, and then die.

After the 8 had died and I only had 4 left, I noticed that they'd managed to spawn, and I got 6 new fry, which are about 2/3 mature at this point.

I assumed that the issue was N buildup, so I started doing frequent water changes, and it seemed to stop (though I'm no longer convinced that this was the actual problem/solution). Now, I have one of the new fish acting the same way. I did a few water changes quickly, which seemed to invigorate him a little (which I chalked up to increased oxygen), and he's hung on a few days, but is declining steadily.

What's going on? Is this a genetic defect? Any known illness? I isolated him in a 5g, so that if he sinks its not so far to the surface- but I'm not sure if he'd be more comfortable with his school. If it was N poisoning, will he recover?

Drewbacca
Did you check your parameters during all of this? It should be easy to tell if it was N buildup if your numbers were off.

Osse
When it was first happening yes- the numbers were consistent and well within healthy limits.

The second time no- admittedly it had been a while since I'd changed the water, but there's about 20 fish in there and only one is showing this behavior.

saltwater60
So you have 20 fish what size tank? What’s admittedly been a while for a water change? Also what is the actual water parameters? Sometimes people get acceptable ranges mixed up.

Osse
It's a 29 gal nano tank. Never tested higher than .25 ppm (for anything). It had been a month with only top offs. Hadn't tested in the last two weeks but it's so heavily planted and filtered I doubt there were any spikes.

Also, there are 3 otto cats, which I understand to be more sensitive than WCMM, and they're fine. It's just the one WCMM, who's still bent but kicking for the last 3 days. Doesn't seem to have improved or declined.

Top Bottom