Defective heater?

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I set my Q-tank/hosp.tank up 2 nights ago. The temp hasn't reached 80 degrees yet. I saw last night that it hadn't been plugged in all the way, so I made sure it was pushed all the way in and I reset the heater for 82 to see what would happen. I woke up this morning and it was at 78. I turned the light on to see if that would make a difference and I haven't checked since then. I don't know if it's the heater or if there is something wrong with the mercury in the thermometer. I want to get my Betta today, but if the heater is defective I don't want him in cold water. I know the bio-spira needs something for it to really work too, so I don't want to wait to long. BTW, I did check the water parameter's yesterday. Ammonia was at 0, nitrates was 5.0, nitrites at 0. I did put the aquarium ornament in there from my other tank, hoping that would maybe help. Anyway, any ideas about whether it's the heater or the thermometer? Natalie

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could be that the heater is underpowered, my heater in my 29 is set at 74degrees and it keeps a stead 78 degrees, it's a little powerful, just adjust your heater to get your thermometer to read the right temp. Do you have a separate thermometer not on the heater, if so what type?

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I do have a separate one. It's the floating glass one with the mercury. I think I'm going to get one of those stick on ones to be sure it's not the heater. I could be reading it wrong too. I don't know. I'm going to get my Betta in a little while,so I'll pick up a stick on thermometer when I go pick him up. Thanks. Natalie

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What brand of heater are you using?

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's a 25 watt stealth heater. The 25 watt heats 8 gallons and under. I got it from Drs. Foster and Smith. Natalie

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Doesn't rose use those, 25w should be good up to 5 gallons. Is your tank 5 gallons. a floating thermometer is fine, I use one in my tanks and it's works, maybe one degree off than the one on the side sometimes but it also depends where your taking the temperature from and where the heater is positioned.

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
The 25W should be good up to 15 gallons or so unless your room is freezing cold. Also if the red indicator on the thermometer is inside the green area then it's between 70F and 80F. If you set the heater to 82F the red indicator on the thermometer should be slightly above where the green section ends and into the yellow section.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Petsmart with my new baby and a stick thermometer. I think the heater is fine. The heater is located at the bottom of the tank about an inch from the floor of the tank. I couldn't stand it up because it's only a 3 gallon tank. He's only going to be in there for 2 weeks until I know that my Otto's are still healthy and to make sure he is also healthy. Right now he is acclimating to the water in his cup. He looks almost identical to the one I was going to get on Ebay. The lavender one. I don't know if you guy's saw that pic I posted or not. I'll post it.

The stick on thermometer says between 80-82. I reset it at 80, because that's what my 5 gallon is set at and I don't want to have to worry about re-acclimating him to it when it's time to move him.

I will take pic's of him later once he gets a little acquainted with his new home. I have to think of what I want to name him. Any Ideas?

Thanks for everyones help. Natalie

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The link you gave didn't come up as anything...I think the url continues onto a second line but you only made the first line a hyperlink.

Congrats on the new Betta!! Man what a great week on the Betta board--we're all getting new Bettas!! ;D Can't wait to see pics of him.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just copied it and well it says the item has been removed.

Yes well I think the merriness will continue as Rose is getting a betta this week too isn't she. Hope your betta does well.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok, well You'll see pic's of him soon. Thanks for the congrats. I'm so excited. I just took him out of his cup and he's looking around right now. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I revamped your link so it works now. Hope you do not mind. It will work for 90 days after the end of the sale. Thought I would add a picture of the fish too.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just checked the link...what a unique looking Betta! I have never seen a lavendar one before. They just won't stop coming out with new colors

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
((Natalie))

Your Betta is beautiful. I love that color! That color deserves a really cool name. Have you thought of one yet? I was trying....only came up with Eilatan <ur name backwards>

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Two words having to do with the word LAVENDER are Limon and Lavan in the Babylon.com site. Purple has Regal, Royal, and Noble.

Rose

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ohhh, I like Lavan

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The first pic that Rose was able to revamp for me (BTW Thanks) isn't actually him. He does look very similar to him. His head has yellow in it though. He was the one I was considering getting from ebay, but decided not too. I have some pic's of him. Here they are. In the pic's he looks more blue-ish. I guess he's more like a violet color then lavender. I don't know. He's a combo of both I guess. Enjoy. Maybe this will better help with naming him. I do like the name Royal though. That might suit him well. Natalie

PS. I did try feeding him tonight, but he didn't eat, which I guess is expected. He has a whole new world to discover until he get's in the 5 gallon then he can start all over.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice pics!  And what a pretty--err, handsome--Betta you've got!   Let us know what you decide to call him.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He's a cutie! Nice big tank too. He's going to be very happy there. Don't worry if he doesn't eat for a while. My two boys didn't eat for almost a week after I brought them home, even though they were happy and blowing bubble nests. It's the excitement of finally having a big tank to explore...

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes he looks Royal and is quite handsome...My little guys were quite impressed and want to add their welcomes as well. There is much waving and wild movement among them and they like him, I can tell. They are very pleased that there have been new members to the community lately. I just hope it extends to their new brother ;D.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom