Deep Water Lighting For Planted

Redrum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just about to pull the trigger on a 100G tank that is rather deep and probably not so good for lights like the Fluval Fresh & Planted 2.0 (My standard go to). This will be a Freshwater build.
Any thoughts on best light penetration on a tank like the one pictured?
As for plants to go in the tank I'm not sure yet but want to plan for nothing less than upper medium light being available. Probably graduate to co2 injection when I get a splitter for an extra bubble counter. This will also be my first non glass tank so Im not so comfy with putting hot lights to near the top. Not sure if two lights like the kessil's will do. They seem more for reef than plants and a price that could choke a donkey. I don.t have the exact height of that pictured tank yet but its probably a safe bet to say 30". Thanks for any thoughts
100g.jpg

Paradise fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think Kessil will be fine, but it really depends on what plants you're planning on keeping.

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
2 Fluval 2.0 hoods will give you enough light to grow most plants in a 30 inch tank, specially with a co2 system.

Redrum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I hate the price that Kessil commands but like the looks and quality. The Fluval lights arent as hooty patooty but moreso on my price range. I may have to try and get my LFS to show my a demo of the kessel and light spread at various depths. While LED tech is great on distance it lacks its area coverage. Makes me think of the old grow room light movers.. funny nobody has made a rail in which the lights can go back and forth. Will have to explore other light bars before I pull the trigger on this.

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Duel 4 foot 2.0's will light your 100 up like a Christmas tree.

Redrum

Valued Member
Reaction score
the point behind my original post is valid as I plan on getting a tank like pictured above. The actual tank above turns out had been painted with Acrylic Paint and I was not willing to go through the trouble of either putting it in a wall or remove acrylic paint which is the worst to try and remove from what I have read. I want a deep tank rather than a long though as it suits my Man Cave a little better.

I have a 24" and a 36" on my 75 Corner Tall and it's "OK"..Its like hydroponics..its just never enough.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom