Deep sand bed in freshwater sump?

bigbro

HI I've been looking at supplementary ways to reduce nitrate buildup and found that deep sand beds can create anaerobic bacteria that will remove nitrates. From what I understand the main issue with deep sand beds is the build up of toxic gases (Hydrogen sulfide) that get released into the water column when it is disturbed. However, if the deep sand bed was in a section of the sump, wouldn't this issue be nonexistent? The sand bed would not get disturbed by fish and if it does get disturbed by accident the high O2 environment in the sump will neutralize the H2S before it gets put back into the display tank.

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

Whitewolf

As I said in another post (not sure if you created it or not) I think I had some lava rock that had anerobic bacteria growing on it. It smelled pretty nasty. In nature, you can smell anerobic bacteria in aeras of the lake that there is no current, so why not just use the same principal in your aquarium? If I'm understanding it correctly, you want anerobic bacteria to eat the aerobic bacteria, but I'm not a fan of sand and I think sand is nothing but anerobic bacteria. It has to have a very close source of oxygen for it to be aerobic, so if it is sand at the bottom of the tank yes its probably anerobic, but if your talking about your Sump pump all I can think of would be to plant a bunch of bamboo or some other kind of nitrate sucking fast growing plants!!!
Plants are a big part of the nitrogen cycle, and its how nature is able to maintain 0 0 0 water parameters, its not all anerobic bacteria. Plenty of people have made videos of DIY Sumps that have bamboo or peace lilly plants, or pothos vine plants growing out of the sump.

Latest threads

Top Bottom