Deep 20 gallon tank - tall plants

aluminex

I have a 20 gallon tank that is really tall - 24 inches. I have coal slag substrate and would like to add some plants that grow quick and reach the top of the water.

What are my options?

- Any idea if the default lights will work for a planted tank? The water is pretty deep and I can't find any information on the lights.
- What plants would work for low light and grow really tall? I want something that is hardy, if possible.

mimo91088

Vals are easy and get long. Wasn't uncommon for me to cut 4 foot long pieces off mine when trimming.

Upvote 0

aluminex

Vals are easy and get long. Wasn't uncommon for me to cut 4 foot long pieces off mine when trimming.

Do you think my stock LEDs would work fine?

Upvote 0

Maryellen

Vals grow like weeds in my 20g high, moneywort also is a fast growing, tall, background plant, as well as my favorite, Pogostemon stellatus octopus. These all seem to work with little light.

Upvote 0

SallImSayin

I have some Amazon Swords that grew clean out of my 20H. My anubias plants are pretty big, both tall and wide, as well. They're the larger type, I think barteri var. barteri

Upvote 0

Chanyi

Any Myriophyllum species.
Any val. species.
Ludwigia repens / ovalis / palustris.
Any Cabomba species.
Lysimachia nummularia.
Crypt balansae / Crypt spiralis.
Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan'
Rotala rotundifolia.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Most likely yes. They're not very demanding.

Upvote 0

aluminex

Thanks all!

Upvote 0

wishuponafish

They might but I wouldn't put much faith in them, usually they're intentionally made super weak so people won't complain about algae. I think the manufacturers expect that most people who buy starter kits are just trying to keep a goldfish on pink gravel or something, rather than keeping live plants.

Upvote 0

aluminex

They might but I wouldn't put much faith in them, usually they're intentionally made super weak so people won't complain about algae. I think the manufacturers expect that most people who buy starter kits are just trying to keep a goldfish on pink gravel or something, rather than keeping live plants.

Thanks. I've already considered upgrading, but my hood is solid, so I'm not sure what type of light would work. I've looked at the Finnex lights, but not sure I could suction any of those to the bottom of my hood.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Thanks. I've already considered upgrading, but my hood is solid, so I'm not sure what type of light would work. I've looked at the Finnex lights, but not sure I could suction any of those to the bottom of my hood.
Is it the marineland hood with the 2 led bars built in by chance?

Upvote 0

aluminex

Is it the marineland hood with the 2 led bars built in by chance?
Nah - it's the Topfin

Top Fin® Captivate Starter Kit | fish Starter Kits | PetSmart

Upvote 0

wishuponafish

You can take off the hood and have a floodlight or something hanging/supported over it, or if it gets some sun from a window it might be fine too.

A light like this one might be good for your tank:

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
ponitboss
Replies
Views