Ded Pleco

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
i purchased a pleco 6 days ago yesterday i found it dead, i don't now what happed i did
water test may 31 at 9:30pm

temp 78f = 26c
Nitrate was at 20 -safe
Nitrite 0 - safe
Hardness 120 - moderate
Alkalinity 120- ideal range
and Ph 7.2 - ideal range

my tank has been running for 1 month with plants and cycling with goldfish flakes.

In the next couple of days i will return him to store, and get a couple of swords.
2 femails and 1 male and try that.
does not look like i am having much success.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Plecos don't do well in tanks that are not cycled. What is your ammonia level? It could also have been sick when you bought it. I'm so sorry you lost your fish. :-[

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your pleco! when i was younger, i had a pleco in a 15 gallon tank he stayed quite small but had too many tank mates, i was just too enthusiastic. somehow he managed to live through the high ammonia levels and he lived a good few years. I recently got a pleco, knowing about the ammonia cycles was very carefull to cycle my tank correctly before adding any fish, i got some guppies first just to make sure that the tank was perfect and then added my pleco a week later, i noticed some ich on one of my guppies and immediately rushed off to the Fish shop for meds. then i treated my tank - big mistake, my pleco was dead the next morning, apparently they cant handle the white spot medication, because they are scaleless, i didnt know that, well i do now! Plecos are funny things, some i suppose are more hardy than others.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
kerryve said:
sorry to hear about your pleco! when i was younger, i had a pleco in a 15 gallon tank he stayed quite small but had too many tank mates, i was just too enthusiastic.  somehow he managed to live through the high ammonia levels and he lived a good few years.  I recently got a pleco, knowing about the ammonia cycles was very carefull to cycle my tank correctly before adding any fish, i got some guppies first just to make sure that the tank was perfect and then added my pleco a week later, i noticed some ich on one of my guppies and immediately rushed off to the Fish shop for meds. then i treated my tank - big mistake, my pleco was dead the next morning, apparently they cant handle the white spot medication, because they are scaleless, i didnt know that, well i do now! Plecos are funny things, some i suppose are more hardy than others.
I heard it was an urban myth that plecos were scaleless. Horrible that it couldn't withstand the medication. How else would you be able to treat your other fish for ich? Horrible connundrum.

ssh_condor

Reaction score
All but one of my plecos died within the first week of purchasing them. I put it down to my magic killer tank! I say this because the majority of what i put in there rarely lives longer than a month or two. And no i do not over crowd it. It is a 15 gallon(UK) tank with rarely more than 4 fish in there.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Armadillo- yes plecos are scaleless but they do have armor plating. for Plecos with ICH raised temps for 14 days, frequent water changes do the trick.
ssh_condor- How long has your tank been set up? Plecos don't do well un an uncycled tank.
this is an old thread perhaps you would like to start a new thread to address this problem.
Carol

Mollygurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
I put quICK cure in my tank lots(coz my mollies get ich alot) and my pleco did fine

ssh_condor

Reaction score
Its been set up for 3 years, water changed every fortnight, water tested everytime before i put new fish in, if it isn't good i dont put new ones in. Even my the supplier things my tank is a bit fishy.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom