Decreased iron?

1. Jasonnnnnnnz Member Member

Hi guys I was just wondering what this problem is with my plants. Every plant has a few leaves with the dark brown or black edges along most of the plant. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406286325.461566.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. smee82 Well Known Member Member

It could be iron or it could be something different we need to know what your full tank parameters, your lights, CO2 and fert schedule?

3. SeattleRoy Member Member

Hi Jasonnnnnnnz,

It does not look like an iron deficiency; in fact the plant looks healthy. When I have a similar condition on one of my plants it usually is algae starting to form, possible black brush algae (BBA), blue green algae (BGA / cyanobacteria), or brown algae (diatoms). I would just watch it at this point until I could identify it better.

75 gallon
    [​IMG]

4. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Iron does not cause black stuff on the edges. Iron deficiency makes the plant yellow and pale. It is rare to have Iron deficiency in most plants unless they varieties with more red colored leaves that need a bit extra iron. Here is a chart that explains nutrient deficiencies....

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98529

Hard to tell by the photo, but it sounds like the start of algae. Algae tends to grow on the leaf edges especially when plants are growing slowly. If it is algae, trying manually removing with your hand, gently rubbing them to remove the algae, or perhaps an old (well rinsed, no toothpaste residue) toothbrush would help.