Decorations for tank Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by urmama21, Aug 3, 2014.

1. urmama21

urmama21 New Member Member

My son recently said to me hey daddy can we put one of my spiderman figures in the fish tank?......so can I?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. 1thing

1thing Valued Member Member

I would guess...... Just make sure that there are no small bits that fish can nip off!

thing

3. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Sure. It's probably not too different from most ornaments that go in the tank. I know another member's son put Superman in the tank.

This whole situation is probably going to offend poor Aquaman, though.

4. husky194

husky194 Valued Member Member

The things that I learned (the hard way) NOT to put into a tank is sea shells you've collected and or pretty rocks you've found.
    I hope Spiderman enjoys his new underwater home!

5. h

hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

A good way to test if he'll do well is to soak him in a bucket for a week or two. If the paint starts to chip or tint the water, it's a no-go. This will also give the figure a chance to leak any toxins. Be sure to rinse him very well, and make sure that he's h=never been washed with soap.

6. a

amdpayne Valued Member Member

Oh? What happened with those? :( I'd love to put shells or rocks in mine... why not? Leaked minerals or had life in/on them, possibly bad bacterial?

7. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

You might want to start a new thread so we don't stray from the OP.

8. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Be careful with adding superman. There are chemicals and toxins in the plastic, I'm sure. If I were you I wouldn't add it to the tank. I would probably get some clear aquarium silicone or clear aquarium safe paint/glue and coat Spider-Man in it. Then that will protect Spider-Man from wearing down and hopefully prevent any unwanted chemicals/toxins from leaching into your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I would think that anything that is child safe, would be aquarium safe. But then again, several years ago we had all of my daughters Polly Pockets recalled since it turned out they contained lead paint.

10. OP
    OP
    urmama21

Thanks everyone

He's currently soaking in a bucket.will post a pic I'd it works

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  11. m

mopa Valued Member Member

At least give superman a airstone . You wouldn't want to be known as the one who drown superman.

12. d

dakota Valued Member Member

Looking at quite a few LFS there usually are plenty of tank decorations that are fish safe and not have to worry about toxins. I"ve seen plenty of different rocks in different colors and sizes etc. Some of the artifical stumps and drift wood are so real like some are hard to tell if they are real or not. For me its a bad idea to go looking it ends up costing money.

Clean water = Happy Healthy Fish

13. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Polly Pockets contained lead paint. I used to play with those when I was little! Uh oh.

+1 on this urmama21. An airstone with superman would look great.
    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. OP
    OP
    urmama21

The latest

Attached Files:

15. h

hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

:kewlpics:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice