Decorations, Are They Only For Decoration?

1. abheeshs Member Member

Is there any purpose for decorations other than for making the aquarium look good? I only want my fish to be happy, that makes me happy. So, do I still need decorations?

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

The fish like places to hide and decorations make the tank more interesting for them than a bare tank.

3. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

Fish love places to hide in order to feel safe, so decorations serve that purpose.

EDIT: Looks like I was beat to it :p

4. abheeshs Member Member

What if I have some plants in the tank? Do I still need driftwood and decorations? I have rocks which I place like a bridge.

5. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

If the tank is well planted you don't need other decoration but it depends what type of fish/invertebrates you have. Some (like CPD and shrimp) need lots of hiding places to feel secure others (like goldfish and zebra danios) don't.

6. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Some fish need driftwood to digest food such as some types of pleco. Some fish like to have caves, my kuhli loaches use my decorations as caves.

7. Over It Well Known Member Member

Like everyone else has said decorations serve many purposes. Yes, they make the tank look better in most cases, but fish need plants and other places that they can hide in if they feel scared. Also just having the plants and other decor makes them feel safer so they can display their natural behaviors.

Also like others said, certain fish and invertebrates need caves or something similar to hide in and Shrimp need them for when they are molting.

I even have plants in my Goldfish tank. Not many, but a few fake ones and a few live ones. They love having them in there and swim in and around them all the time.

8. abheeshs Member Member

I have a common pleco, so do I need driftwood. Will driftwood change water pH?

9. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

You must have a very big tank to have a common pleco, I'm a little jealous lol. I can't get a 100+ gallon tank. Yes you will need driftwood for a common pleco. Some people say it does change PH, but I personally haven't noticed it.

10. minervalong Well Known Member Member

I change something about the decor every time I do a water change, gives them "new" things to explore. I don't think my sword or corys care, but the bettas love it.

11. abheeshs Member Member

I have a 10gallon, is a common pleco too much? It is 3in maybe.

12. heeerefishyfishy Member Member

If you don't want to end up in a situation like this, yes it's sadly much too small.

13. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Some fish will use decorations as territory. My GBR took the fake log as his and spends his days guarding it, even though no one else would threaten him for it.

14. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

It's 3 inches at the moment, but they get up to a foot. Not to mention the bioload, they are poop machines, would be too much for a ten gallon too.

15. abheeshs Member Member

How long can I have it before I have to let it go?

16. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

They grow very fast in the first year or so of life. I honestly would recommend rehoming it now.

17. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Common plecos need 180 gallons+ I volunteer at my local rescue kennels and they were recently given a tank with a common pleco in. The poor thing could barely turn around. He was nearly 2 feet long.

18. Kitetra Member Member

Im a noob, that being said I think decorations are such also to the fish, my main theme except for a big big "mountain" is kind of roman/greek and as far as I can tell they love swimming between columns and the sort, they might lack a sense of aestethics, but I think different shapes and scenery are not disliked by them, while using the plants/mountain like a refuge. Driftwood is not only decor but through tannins influences the water, so depending on the fish (as far as I can tell to the most of them) can actually be beneficial.

As others have said your tank is way too small for the poor thing... might I suggest getting a WAY bigger tank or trying to exchange that fish for some other one? I think this is one of the occasion which proves the rule an inch of fish for a gallon of water "wrong" you must account the final size of the fish not its size now...

19. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I would rehome it now. Always better to do it now than later...... I'd get out the pleco when it's small, not when it's big.

20. abheeshs Member Member

Don't I need a pleco for algae removal or something?