Decor Causing Slime

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I recently began cycling three fish tanks last week; one a divided ten gallon and the other two 5 gallons. I know about the nitrogen cycle as well.

At first, I had a "Squidward's House" decoration in a five gallon that I planned to move to the divided tank. It began growing a film like slime and the water smells weird. So I took it out last week and put it in the divided tank with a "Spongebob Pineapple" house on the other side. I cleaned it off, put it in and a few days later both decorations are covered in the wierd slime again. :/ The new decor I replaced in my 5 gallon doesn't have this problem and the other 5 gallon tank I have has had no signs of slime either and the water smells fine.

Is it the material of the decoration? Something else? I bought nerite snails to try and help with the problem, as I was told they would eat the slime but they don't seem interested. :/

OP
I see fire.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought so too but I can't determine if they are the same or not. In one of the images, you can see that it only affects the two items and not the other decor in the tank.

Attachments

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The white stuff is a bacteria that usually occurs in new or cycling tanks, it will go away on it's own. The green definatly looks like cyanobacteria.

OP
I see fire.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The green? You mean on the one decor? That is part of the decor paint. It isn't real. xD The only issue I have is the white slime.

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ohhhh ok. Yeah, it should go away on it's own towards the end of your cycle or after your cycle is completed. It's more common on driftwood and such but I've seen it grow on everything.

OP
I see fire.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm curious as to why this hasn't happened with my other three tanks though. :/ I've never encountered this in any of my tanks before.

OP
I see fire.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, I plan to do that next but our power is out so I have to wait a bit. I've cleaned the decor before, but it just came back, but I will try it again.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, I plan to do that next but our power is out so I have to wait a bit. I've cleaned the decor before, but it just came back, but I will try it again.
I think it might depend on the surface, perhaps the material the decor is made with? As previously mentioned, it usually occurs on driftwood, but will appear on other things. I've seen it on a dying banana plant and around dying/dead mystery snails. Sometimes it appears on new things introduced it the tank. It's completely harmless though, however isn't aesthetically pleasing.

OP
I see fire.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, it looked terrible. As well, I ended up with a ton of Pond Snails and some Ramshorn snails from a frog bit plant and ended up having a ton of snail poop all over the decor. I ended up removing it and I'm just gonna buy something similar to the decor I've been getting.

Thank you everyone for your help! Taking them out was a horrible experience, it was literally slime and I hate the feel of slime! >_<

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 76 66.7%

Top Bottom