50 Gallon Tank Declaration of War Against BBA

Evergreen2

So foreword, I stupidly introduced BBA into my 50g via subwassertang I bought about a month ago. I couldn't see it until it was too late.

Fast forward to now, I almost cut all of my leaves off of my Flame Sword due to the BBA and my Gold Coin Anubis isn't far behind. It's all over my HOB intake valve, and starting to take over some of my other plants(I can't tell if it's on my java moss or another type of algae. My Otos won't touch it). I'm hesitant to use Excel because I'm nearing the end of treatment, (third and final precautionary treatment)for Camallanus worms and I have a few weak and healing fish. I have 4 Otos that do a decent job of keeping up with most of the other algae types. I've tried the peroxide route, didn't work well. I actually killed off most of my subwassertang in this tank from doing a 50-50 peroxide dip, outside in another bowl.

I've heard that true SAE gobble BBA up. Would it be worth it to invest in a SAE? Since I'm fed up with the BBA? If not does anyone one else have working strategies on the nasty stuff? I've did my research on BBA and I'm done dealing with it.

I was also wondering if SAE will also eat green spot algae? Since it seems to have appeared almost overnight on the same Anubis plant as the BBA?

Pfrozen

SAE will eat BBA but I can't seem to locate them anywhere lately even online. I have BBA too and so far its survived 10x excel overdoses... my inverts were starting to suffer so I've now given up. I'll have to just suffer until I can acquire a single SAE

btw dosing just a small amount of P will stop green spot from growing. its almost always a combo of too much light and low phosphate. not all algae is easy to diagnose but green spot is one of the easy ones

Upvote 0

SnookusFish

I feel your pain... I introduced it into my tank and it has taken months but it is no longer spreading and is only on a couple of places on my driftwood where I dont mind it, as long as its off my plants. Its slowly disappearing now. SAE are a good option. I would have get them if my tank was big enough so you could. What are your nitrates? Bba grows with excess nitrates so consider adding a load of floaters or fast stem plants to outcompete it. I also know that horned nerite snails do a good job of eating it. What temp is your tank?
Good luck!

Upvote 0

Evergreen2

SAE will eat BBA but I can't seem to locate them anywhere lately even online. I have BBA too and so far its survived 10x excel overdoses... my inverts were starting to suffer so I've now given up. I'll have to just suffer until I can acquire a single SAE

btw dosing just a small amount of P will stop green spot from growing. its almost always a combo of too much light and low phosphate. not all algae is easy to diagnose but green spot is one of the easy ones
Really? I'll have to do a dose because it's also on my Bacopa.. The GSA is anways.

I feel your pain... I introduced it into my tank and it has taken months but it is no longer spreading and is only on a couple of places on my driftwood where I dont mind it, as long as its off my plants. Its slowly disappearing now. SAE are a good option. I would have get them if my tank was big enough so you could. What are your nitrates? Bba grows with excess nitrates so consider adding a load of floaters or fast stem plants to outcompete it. I also know that horned nerite snails do a good job of eating it. What temp is your tank?
Good luck!

I overfeed my tank, I'll be the first one to admit it. I feed the tank once a day, sometimes two times a day rarely. I don't do much testing on that tank anymore. But today I did. I think the nitrates were between 40and 80. It was WC day anyway. Last one was a week and a half ago, I think. Floaters don't do well in my tank. I'll post a pic of my tank in a second. Temp is 75-76 right at the moment.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Fishproblem
  • Algae
Replies
Views
jcambre
  • Question
  • YellowGuppy
  • Algae
Replies