Deck Pond Resources?

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by Mom2some, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I would love to start a little pond on the corner of our deck with a basic little fish (white cloud minnows for example) that I could over winter inside.
    However I am looking for less fancy than Pinterest guidance. I watched the YouTube series by Rachel O'Leary but does anyone else have suggestions for resources so I can learn and plan to do it maybe next summer (I need time to convince my husband)? Or just keywords to help me search? Thanks!

2. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Metal water troughs work very well and look decent. Just make sure to reseal the bottom with silicone before you use it to avoid leaks. They come in many sizes. I have the 180g on my porch that I use as a pond. Plastic stock tubs work too.
    If you have questions about it feel free to ask!
    image-jpg.279158.jpg

3. OP
    OP
    Mom2some

Looks nice! Certainly nicer looking than the black rubber ones. How do you filter it? Do you have a problem with mosquitoes? What fish do you keep? Can I download your brain?

4. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Filter is your typical pond filter - water is drawn in from the bottom and pumped out from the top. Bio balls at the bottom, then two different types of sponges.
    There were attachments to make a 'sprinkler' look, but the sprinkler was too wide for my pond. I got it at Lowes, I believe. 360 something GPH if I'm not mistaken.

No problems with mosquitoes at all. The surface moves too much for their taste, and the fish love the taste of insects and their offspring.

I keep two common goldfish, one shubunkin goldfish, and a fancy goldfish, some fathead/rosy red minnows, mosquitofish, ramshorn snails, and a couple of Asian clams. Plants are just a water iris and some parrot's feather. I think I have a more recent picture; let me go find it. :)

Edit: Here it is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    Mom2some

Thanks!
    I did some more poking around fishlore last night and found a better search term "container water garden". This lead me to many YouTube videos... here is to hoping I can make this happen this summer to next! Open to additional input if people have any...

6. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

I've got a couple of unfiltered tub ponds with goldfish, just those large round black tubs with rope handles, the type you get at cheap shops or hardware stores etc. I've put some smooth rocks in the bottom with various plants (water iris, duck potato, pickerel, water lilies, water plantain, rush plants, floating plants like frogbit and water lettuce etc). The metal ponds wouldn't really work where I live as our summers get extremely hot (even the plastic tub ponds really heat up in summer, but they are smaller). I once had one set up indoors for breeding livebearers too, I had a filter in that one though. They can work well, and look pretty cool too.

7. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

The goldfish have been in there for years, I'm actually surprised how well they're doing :)

8. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, in my signature I have a pic of my patio pond, it was a breeze to put together and came as a kit. Mine is 165g but they have a smaller 100 and possibly a 65g too, here is the link if you want to check out the website. They're in Canada but ship to the US:

9. OP
    OP
    Mom2some

Thanks all! @CindiL do you think it could be did-assembled & reassembled elsewhere? We rent & don't know long we will be here.

10. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Yep, it definitely can. It stacks together like a lincoln log house, no nails or screws and the only thing that bolts on are the 3 seats.

11. OP
    OP
    Mom2some

Resurrecting this thread to say I have decided to wait a year or two. Instead I am going to build a little fountain. Upon reflection the patio pond would really be a drowning hazard with small kids... so going to wait.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice