Decisions, decisions! :D

1. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Hey guys-
    I just finished transitioning my 20 gal from gravel to sand.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1404615468.438450.jpg
    Now I get to decide what type of fish to put in it. I have plenty of time to decide because I'll be going on vacation at the end of this month and I don't want to add any fish yet with the possibility of getting involved in a nasty cycle while I have to go on vacation. So I'll probably start putting fish in in about 3 weeks.
    I've been trying to decide on what fish to put in. I'm open to anything that will work in a 20 gallon. My only request is that they are compatible with julii corydoras because those little fellas will definitely be in my tank. That's actually why I switched it to sand. But I do need other fish so the tank can establish before I put my cories in.
    Suggestions would be great!
    (I've been thinking about neon tetras, cherry barbs or guppies or endlers, julii corydoras, and a golden german blue ram. opinions on these would also be greatly appreciated.)
    Thanks! I'm having trouble deciding with all my possibilities and would LOVE some recommendations.

2. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

The tank looks really nice with sand. Are you planning to keep any plants?

Have you thought about threadfin or featherfin rainbow fish?

If possible, wait on the ram and rainbows until after the tank is cycled. They are very sensitive and prefer stable and well established tanks.

3. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

+1 with plants

Also you might want to add a little more sand and somewhat slope/wave your sand out instead of totally flat. Will look better.

Also have you though about a background for the tank?

As for fish I think I would do the Cory's GBR's for sure with either a school of cardinal tetras or harquline rasboras.

I am somewhat biased against neons as cardinals have the soild red strip all the way down the body and are about the same care. IMO they look better.

So my stock plan would be
    6 cardinal tetras/harquline rasbora
    6 Cory's
    2 GBR's (might only want 1 with space issues not quite sure)

4. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

thanks guys! I'll keep those fish in mind. I'm going to be doing live plants with a black background. The picture isn't what the tank looks like right now. The sand is already wavy/bumpy, it just wasn't in the picture because that was right when I got the sand in. :)

edit: I know about not adding the GBR until the tank is well established. also corys are sensitive, too.

do you think GBR would be happier in a pair, or could I just do one? I want them to be as happy as possible. :)

This is a picture of what the sand looks like right now, it's hard to see the slopes, but they are definitely there :)

5. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

I don't really know if GBR's like being alone or in pairs many people do both. One bad thing if you get two is if they breed they will become aggressive. Also if you get two definitely get a male female pair.

And yeah I can see the slopes in there. When will you be getting plants? They actually help with the initial cycle of a new tank so the sooner the better.

6. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure when I'll be getting plants. I don't want them to die while I'm on vacation. I honestly have no idea how to care for plants as this will be my first time. I only want to do easy things, though, like java fern, annubias, etc. Idk where I'll get them, though because the only pet store close to me is pet smart and I know they only sell them in tubes. Should I still get the ones in tubes? Also would the plants be able to live for 3 weeks without fish?

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I wouldn't worry too much about slopes & contours with the sand, the corys will have it nice & flat again in no time ;)

8. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

You could get away with anubias and java fern from those tubes that's where I got mine. Be careful if you get amazon swords from them though make sure they have roots before you buy.

9. kwhitworth83 Member Member

I am totally new to aquatic plants but I also purchased the tube plants from Petsmart. The anubias and java fern are doing well and were still pretty nice in the tube. The water wisteria I purchased on the other hand was pretty shabby. Only the top half inch to an inch of each strip was salvageable. The rest was already brown. I've been floating it in the tank and the nubs are growing roots so I guess they will be fine. I would definitely suggest you make sure to check the packages well before you purchase.

10. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Okay thanks guys. I'm kind of confused about water wisteria. I want some for my 10 gal betta tank though. Can't you plant it in the substrate and float it? I obviously want to float it for my boy so he can play in it. How do I do this? Just take it out of the packaging and stick it on top of the water...? Also what would the packaging look like? would the ones you plant vs the ones you float look different?

11. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Please tell us about the type of light that you have over the 20 gallon tank. How many kelvins does the bulb have? Is this fluorescent? If yes, tell us how many watts. Lighting will pretty much decide what plans you can grow.

You can float water Wisteria and it will grow tremendous roots all over the place until you trim them back. It requires regular pruning and does shed frequently.

I have found that Wisteria does better with brighter lighting, but if you have 20 W fluorescent lighting with about 6500 Kelvin, it will do fine in the 10 gallon. You may like other varieties of Hygrophila, such as corymbosa, stricta, and angustifolia.

12. kwhitworth83 Member Member

The three plants I purchased all came in the same packaging. They were in a clear cup thing filled with a moisture retaining material. Honestly, it reminded me of the stuff inside diapers lol. I just brushed as much of the material off as I could then rinsed the rest off with tap water. I am not sure if I should have used the tap water but it didn't seem to have any ill effects. I tried sticking the wisteria in the gravel at first but it was so short it didn't want to stay. So I just let it float at the top of the tank. My filter current is pretty strong so they tend to drift across the water line.

13. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

question- if I got plants right now, would they be able to survive alone in the tank without fish for 3 weeks, or would they need the fish for their waste/food?

14. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

They could survive you just might want to get some sachem flourish as a liquid fert to help them