Deciding What To Get And If Its Overstocked Help

1. Saobie

Saobie Valued Member Member

So im getting a 55g corner tank in a month and a half, and was wondering if all the fish i wanted to get are compatible with what i have, and if id be overstocking

I currently have:
    2 koi angelfish
    1 male golden wonder killifish
    1 female bristlenose pleco
    1 gold inca snail
    1 serpae tetra
    1 black skirt tetra
    1 white skirt tetra
    1 redeye tetra

Before i get into what i want, im aware that i dont have enough tetras currently, and that its better to get the same species. All but the redeye school together, so i planned to get more tetras along the redeyes body shape and size to help him feel better

What i want:
    1 dojo loach (aware that 2+ is better, would get 2 if its possible)
    1 male bristlenose pleco
    1 penguin tetra
    1 buenos aries tetra
    2 other tetras (undecided on species)
    2 female golden wonder killifish
    1 Viper shrimp (or bamboo shrimp)

Given the tanks size is this too much? What would you remove if it is. Will everyone get along and live a happy life?

2. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

You're going to be told to get more of the same schooling fish and to not keep schooling fish as single fish.

3. OP
    OP
    Saobie

Which makes sense. I dont suppose i could get away with 2 dojo loaches huh. And could i support more tetras in general?

4. Wobbegong

Wobbegong Well Known Member Member

Well the black skirt tetra and the white skirt tetra are the same species and should school together, I would worry about the angelfish breeding and getting territorial.

5. Kyleena696

I honestly don't know about the loaches.

I think your tank would be fine with more tetras! However, I would add more of the species you already have instead of adding new species. I'd say at least 4 of each schooling species you have would be fine. I do overstock my own tank though, so that might not be accurate unless you're willing to keep up with very frequent water changes (2-3 a week instead of one every 1-2 weeks).

Or just aggressive to each other in general.

6. OP
    OP
    Saobie

My angels and killi have aggression here and there. My killi has always been "tank alpha" and likes to assert himself over any fish that could be a threat to his dominance. He bullied the male a lot until the female kicked his ass and theres disputes every now and then. Im aware of the potential for breeding, i keep a close eye on them to make sure i know if/when they do

Same species of tetras, got it. So i could probably add 1 or 2 more black and white skirts, and another serpae. Assuming they all still school together that will be 5 in total. The redeye is on his own, so maybe i get 2 more redeyes and 2 penguins?

The loaches are because im very interested in eel-like fish. Originally i was going to get a peacock eel because i had heard good things about them in community tanks. I posted here about it and everyone unanimously agreed its a bad idea so i went with the "chubby eel thats not a predator"

As for water changes, i generally do 40% twice monthly. y siphon sucks up a lot of water and i like to get every part of the bottom, so as a result i get a lot more water than normal. I dont think itd be wise to do it more often than i do but im also still a beginner so i dont know much in general

7. Kyleena696

Water change schedules are determined by how quickly your nitrates build up.

8. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

You need to up the number of your tetras because they need that safety, getting more of a different type is failing your fish.
    The skirt tetras, and a couple of your other fish have different temp requirements, dojo loach are cool water fish and get too big for this tank as far space needs with other bottom dwelling fish.

Having too many school fish of different types stresses the fish out. You need to be doing weekly water changes to help take out higher nitrate and replace minerals the fish need.

9. C

Cardeater Valued Member Member

I agree.

If you want variety, you could get glofish tetra as they are just genetically modified skirt tetra. The glofish tetra should school with you white and black skirt.

I'm aware glofish aren't everyone's thing, but if you like them, you can add more colors and still add to the school.

10. OP
    OP
    Saobie

Maybe ill get 1 glofish. Iv not really liked them but i also feel for them, theyre a species that might look nice to younger kids who may not take care of them as well

My nitrates generally stay in the safe, though it does get a bit up here and there. My sister actually told me to change water less often because my nitrates and water in general was fine and the cleanliness actually resulted in the death of another snail i had, who likely starved

11. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Mystery snails cannot survive off just algae is the reason it died, space and water are both beneficial to mystery snails. Veggies, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, and a variety of other things can be fed to them to insure they do not starve and are still able to maintain their shell growth properly.
    Water changes aren't just for nitrates, they replace minerals fish and plants need as well as keeping parameter stable (and water clear).

12. C

Cardeater Valued Member Member

So, your post makes me reconsider these guys
    It's still not the best match in my setup bc seriously fish lists them at 78 f Max and this site says 80. In either case, I'd be putting them at their extreme which isn't the best.

Then again, as your post made me think about, most if these fish are going to wind up in poor condition because of the way they are marketed.

It's even worse for the new glosharks.

I'll probably still wait as my tank won't have the room but I'm more open to getting these now.

13. OP
    OP
    Saobie

I supplimented them with algae wafers and shrimp pellets 3 times weekly. I also drop in frozen bloodworms for all my fish once weekly

And yea, either way those glofish will probably not live the best life. I could get one and give it a chance at least

14. KimAnnKitz

KimAnnKitz Valued Member Member

I ha
    I'm not crazy about neon colored fish but I set up a glofish tank for my nephew and fell for a pink glo tetra which I added to my 5 gallon tank. It has been happy and healthy for several years. I know that glofish are genetically modified, but they don't know that. They are not injected or dip dyed. If you like them add a couple. They will not be miserable or sad.

15. OP
    OP
    Saobie

I just feel for them, theyre a species that stands out to younger people who may not take care of them properly. A cursed existence

A pink or red glofish sounds pretty neat so ill see about getting some. If i cant add a dojo loach, iv got space to use since those chubby eels get rather large

16. KimAnnKitz

KimAnnKitz Valued Member Member

I'm with you on that whole glofish thing BUT I saw a purple glo tetra in a pet store that was absolutely gorgeous. I took a lot for me not to buy it. I was the best looking glofish I ever saw. :smuggrin: