Deciding to get a 85g tank for my home Help 

drfishguy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I'm new in this section since a long time ago when I had some gold fish as a kid. I have now decided to bring in my home a tank. haven't had a pet in a long time and decided to care for some fish. I have made some researc to see what fish will go with my personality and decided that only kind I can find locally that I like are Oscars and Arowanas. ive meassured the space I have and decide to get a 85g tank.
My questions are...
Can these kind live together?
and how many can live in harmony in this tank?

Sorry for my english, its my second language

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey,

Your English is fine

85 gallons would be fine for a single Oscar,or maybe a pair of Oscars,depending on if they get along or not.They may fight.

Arowana need a much,much larger tank. They will need a 8x3 foot tank to house one for life.

drfishguy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nitro, thanks for the reply. Is there any other carnivorous breed as the last two I mentioned that may be more comon, to see if I can find any?

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are lots of Cental American,and South American Cichlids that would work in 85 gallons.

Jaguar cichlids
Jack Dempsey cichlids
Midas cichlids
Trimac cichlids
Green Terror cichlids
Red Terror cichlids
Convict cichlids
SalvinI cichlid
Texas cichlid

Here are just a few of the more common ones.

If you google or search Cental American or South American Cichlids,you will find a lot more,and more specific care information on them.

kerisb

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey drfishguy, how are ya?

I have Oscars...........and they are awesome fish, however yeah limited to only a couple of them...........which could get boring if you don't really love them. But with that said I have put my oscars in with every other fish I have owned and as long as the fish are not small I have never seen the oscars be mean to anyone, they are the most peaceful fish I have (other than at feeding time, then they turn into big pigs and will jump right out of the water for food..........oh yeah and they will bit also....believe me I know this from experience!!!!

However going with the cichlids you would be able to have lots in that tank, and they come in many many colours. I have seen some really beautiful cichlid tanks.

I prefer the oscars over the cichlids............lol but if I had more tanks (you would think 4 would be enough) I would go with cichlids because of the colours, I just don't have any empty tanks left lol.

Arowana's I don't know an awfully lot about but have seen some in pet shops and they get way bigger than any fish I would want..........and don't think you can mix them with many other fish.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello DrFishGuy and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

drfishguy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Aaquarist48, I am for sure.

I guess a couple of Oscars is gonna have to do it, since I will like to feed live insects and small feeding fish to them. and my first choice was the arowana but its true they grow to quick for my small tank.

Another question. Is just to dificult for a beginnner to start with a salt water tank isnt ?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey drfishguy, welcome to the site.

IMO, a saltwater is not any more difficult than a fresh water once it's established. You still have water changes, tests etc.

The more I research saltwater, the more I'm realising that it is only more difficult if you fail to research and fail to plan. Saltwater environments have different requirements for water conditions, and the equipment required to keep those conditions.

There is a heap of great information in the beginner's guide for saltwater at: https://www.fishlore.com/SaltwaterBeginners.htm

and here's a great comparison of what's required (as far as equipment) for the types of setups: https://www.fishlore.com/saltwatervsfreshwater.htm

Saltwater probably has more specific requirements as far as water parameters because the fish and corals etc are generally hand-caught from reefs around the world, where they are used to a large consistent body of water.

I think if you have the passion and the time and the commitment (and money ), saltwater is probably no more difficult than freshwater.

If you wanted to do saltwater, my only recommendation is do not skimp/shortcut on the setup, get it right from the start, and you will be rewarded.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great info above from Nitro Junkie & Ryanr. 85gal is is limited to one Oscar really but you might be able to put either a Jack Dempsey or a small to medium sized Pleco in there with it (MAYBE). You could comfortably put 2 Jack Dempseys & a medium sized Pleco in there.

How much of exactly what species you could have really depends on how much floor space is in the tank. Do you know what the dimensions of the tank are?

Arowana definitely need a much bigger tank like Nitro mentioned.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads