Deciding on fish

Flipityflu

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i've been having a hard time deciding which fish to get for my 20 gallon tank. apart from a school of smaller fish, i can't figure out what to put in with them.

any favorites?

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i love guppies! a 20 gallon is perfect for some guppies! they come in so many variations colors and body/tail shapes! there really is so many you could have 100 guppies and none of them look alike (not in a 20 gallon though!)

EDIT:i just saw your aquarium info are you doing a fishless cycle?

Last edited:

Flipityflu

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for your suggestions.

i've got plenty of time to decide as i only just starting the cycle.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was at my local Petsmart today and they had so many different kinds of Guppies, I could not believe it. I agree with Josh, not because my name is Josh, but the variety of Guppies you could keep would be cool. Good luck deciding. I have an empty 30g tank and seriously cannot decide what to put in it.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love my gold barbs and corys. The barbs are really active, school nicely but also have their own personalities and they just look awesome now that their color has really come in. The corys are also really active and goofy. The barbs and corys both love surfing the bubbles of the air stones and it's great to watch.

I don't like guppies because they reproduce so rapidly and I have no desire nor room to deal with fry. We have livebearers in my daughter's 20g because we didn't want to spend a lot of money on fish that might die since we were cycling with fish (didn't know about fishless cycling).

-Lisa

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with Ben above. The cories are so interesting, that you will watch them for hours. They are very active and prefer to be in schools. I have 4 in my 27 gal Hex, and it is quite comfortable for them. The nice thing is that you will find that the cories and the small schooling fish will inhabit different regions of the tank, which makes that combo really nice for balance.

Best of luck...

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First off welcome to fishlore! I agree with the cories they are probably one of my absolute favorite fish aside from some plecos. But here's some thing's I'd do with a 20 gallon

-6 snakeskin barbs
-4 Corys (my favorite are pandas but I think they may get too big I'm not sure)
-3 Mollys (I adore them as well, I'd go with three females of different varietys) or 3 female platys
-Snail for algea if needed

Or

-10 neon tetras
-3 or 4 guppies
-4 corys
-Snail for algea if needed

Or

-10 or so tiger barbs

Or

A mixed tank of livebearers with a BN pleco or something for algea control

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I second the gold barbs, I love mine, they're all over playing in the flow of the filter and chasing eachother, plus the color is great!

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
welcome! i agree with the cory people. i love mine. i have a 20gH.....it's a good size for the 4 of them, but i almost wish i had a long for them. they are so cute. i also have
*6 galaxy rasboras
*6 harlequin rasboras
*2 male platys
*4 nerite snails(though one just moved to another tank to eat algae haha)

and i'm still thinking of a couple more i could get.

i'm not thinking guppies would be good, unless you have a plan for the fry. as well as platys i suppose. but if you do decide to get 3 female livebearers, try to get some that don't appear to be pregnant. otherwise they can come home preggers, and you have to deal with it.

iFoundNemo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I LOVE GUPPIES DD
&My albino cory's are always a fish we laugh at about how silly they are with their whiskers whn they suck things up
I also like Neon Tetras, But you need at least three or more.
Another old buddy of mine is the new "Glo-Fish". Brightly colored and beautiful. They swim really fast though.
Balloon Molly's are also very nice but poop a lot! haha. They also become really aggressive if you put males and females together.
Finally, I like Platy's as a safe solution. Not many colors but they are nice traditional fish

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Flip and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

I hope you enjoy the site!

Ken

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have an endler male, i'm probably going to get another also. they are nice looking. i like the platys....to me, they are colorful and pretty. i have males, a mickey mouse, and a painted black tail.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
personally I really reccomend bumping the number of cories up to around 5 or 6 they will be much happier in larger schools and I have heard some need the numbers to survive? I'm not sure exactly Mennu said something about it I just can't remember exactly, specifically pygmy cories.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm going to agree with josh11551 and Jrobber, and not because my name is Josh. Okay, it;s because my name is Josh too

I have to disagree with putting tiger barbs in a 20 - it's just not enough for them to live long term. I also would not recommend gold barbs for a 20 - they get much bigger than the store sells them. Cherry barbs are the only ones that are suitable for a 20 IMO, and I have a lot of experience keeping barbs.

I also don't think a 20H is suitable for corys, but again that's my opinion. And yes, pygmy corys have a tendancy to die off if not kept in large numbers.

I see that you've made your decision, which is great because its your tank.

My suggestion would have been cherry barbs, neons (cardinals) and guppies, with shrimp for clean up.

Flipityflu

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well, nothing is written in stone

i have time anyway since the tank has only been cycling for 5 days.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom