Deciding on a larger aquarium?

waltmillham

Reaction score
I currently have a 20 gallon in my bedroom with an Electric blue Lobster, a Pleco, & a two inch Jack Dempsey & a 29 gallon with two Convicts in my dining room. Their babys all dissappeared......don't know why, but water quality is excellent after a brief spike in nitrites & nitrates...Bio Spira really does work!

I plan on moving my 20 gallon to the other side of the room & put a much larger tank in the corner of the room where my 20 gallon is now. I'm actually toying with the idea of raising baby RB pirahnas, but only from one inch to about three inches & then sell them to the local pet store. I don't want the beasts they would become, but I'd like to watch them go after feeders. I 'm sure the novelty will wear off over time & ultimately, I'd like to add some regular fish. I saw a 45 gallon at Petco that I really like, but going to a 55 gallon or even a 75 would allow me to have an Oscar or a full size Dempsey some day. I want the whisper 40-60 gallon power filter with the two filter chambers, so I can change one filter at a time & retain some of my beneficial bacteria, but what about a Bio wheel filter. Are they easy to work with & get going? Help me decide. The only thing I know for sure is that I'm treating it with Bio Spira....pricey shipping, but it's amazing.

My 20 gallon still has all of those toxins, but I'm just tying them up with Amquel+ & doing frequent water changes. The fish seem healthy in there though. I really have no idea what to do with this tank, but I'm not shutting it down like I did with my 10 gallon.

AngelSta

Reaction score
I don't know how you sleep at night, literally! Don't the filter/airators make to much noise? ??? Or are u just a heavy sleeper!!!
If I were you I'd go with the largest aquarium you can afford/fit in your room. As for the piranas, it's probably a good idea to sell them before they get too eggressive, i hear you can get quite alot of money for the piranas. After you do that you could think about getting some other species of fish, or set up a community aquarium.
It's frustrating when all the water condions are perfect and you have some fish die/disapear! I heard that Demseys don't eat their babys and i'm not sure that convicts do or not so mybe the convicts ate all the babys (remember i dont no much about convicts!!). Another possibility is that the baby got sucked up through the filter. (Another terrible thing to have happen to you!! )
I hope some of this helped you at all!!
AngelSta

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
will share an idea with you... measure where you want the tank check for a power point in the wall nbasically check the usual.. dont forget the weight of the thing too generally overlooked.. i know some people,good people, who once got very wet!!!!!!! find one that best matches your measurements....

then if you want get one made exactly the size you want!!! i have a friend who got one made for a spot in his lounge as all he could find was a mismatch!!!
it really is not all that much different in price. to shop around here is the key use the net to source all requirements.

however if you are adventurous, make it your self.i helped my mate make one it is fairly straight forward get a glazier to cut all your glass at length and your off.... just fill it up first mark a line on the side near the top fill it to there and wait say a week check for leaks

happy d.i.y. if you choose to do so

regardsss Dazzler

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i think aquariums are great in rooms you just need a quiet filter...for people who are busy, and when they go to bed or relax in thier room can lay on their bed and watch the fish.. i personally wouldnt want one otherwise..never have time or room for it otherwise

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When I lived at my dad's, I had my newt's aquarium in my bedroom, and I loved the noise of the filter. My hamster's squeaky wheel though...not so much!

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm using a whisper filter on my 20 gal, and I'm having very good luck so far with it as long as I use the with the extra sponge so I have enough bio filtration without worrying about changing out the mechanical filter whenever I want. So you would be fine using the Whisper filter. However, the only reason I'm still using my Whisper is because it came wit the tank I bought before I knew about the bio-wheel. Now that I do, my next tank will definitely be equipped with one. And even cooler is that they make one of those to work with the bio-wheel too. So that would be a ton of bio-filtration, and you could really max out the tank without worry.

As to the tank, there really isn't much difference between the price of a 55 Gal and a 75 Gal. at least when looking at the standard rectangle glass tanks. If you are looking for a bow front or something special then price becomes more of a factor. But if just looking for a straight up tank, go for the 75 if you can fit it. That extra room in the tank just gives you so much flexibility.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom