dechlorinators

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi! Before I go spend more money (and get depressed looking at all the fish I cannot buy) on some dechlorinator, I was wondering if any brand is better than the other. Is there any "home remedy" that people make? If not, Petsmart gets some more money today!
Thanks,
Denise

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've been using Aqua Plus by Hagen and I can't complain. However, a dechlorinator should be selected according to your own need. That is, it should remove whatever the dangerous compounds are present in the water that you use. Various municipal water sources may have different compounds added to their water (of course, chlorine is in all city water sources). Some companies will add chloramine as well. Tap water may also contain heavy metals that can be toxic to fish. If you really want to know the best dechlorinator for you, call your municipal water supply and ask them what they add to the water, and then select a dechlorinator that conditions the water based on what they told you at the municipal water supply place.

Another thing to consider are plants. If you have a heavily planted tank, you don't exactly want a dechlorinator that removes heavy metals from the water as they are nutrients for plants. In that case, only a conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramine (if present) would be best, so that the plants get the nutrients they need. If, however, you don't have live plants, you can get I guess any dechlorinator. Really any dechlorinator designated for freshwater aquaria should be safe for your fish.

The one that I use (Aqua Plus) removes chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals. The reason I have it is because (1) it's the only one my LFS has, and (2) I didn't call my municipal water supply so I don't know what they add - so just in case I have a dechlorinator that removes all that could be dangerous.
However, I'm getting a very planted tank soon, and I'll try to switch to a dechlorinator that removes only chlorine and chloramine.

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thank you, Isabella! I don't have any live plants yet, so I guess whatever's on sale that removes the 3 major toxic compounds you mentioned will be what I get...at the rate of water changes that I have been doing, I should get the giant economy bottle!
Denise

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
The only one I will use is Prime. Removes chlorine and chloramines and detoxifies ammonia and nitrites, and its impossible to overdose, which is not true for many other products.  We use it in all our tanks - planted, artificial, freshwater, saltwater, etc. and its the only one I ever recommend. Its also the most economical one of similar kinds. A few drops per gallon is all it takes.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use the cheapest I can find which is Wardleys, I get it at Walmart for $1.97. I don't like to add alot of stuff to my tanks so I like it simple . I use it in all my tanks, planted and unplanted.
One brand really isn't better than another, jusy depends on what you need and how much you want to spend.
carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use StressCoat for most times. Since I have been using Bottled Spring Water by the gallon this summer due to a problem with the tap water here I really haven't needed Dechlor, but I still think the Aloe in the StressCoat is good for my little folks. When I used tap water, I used Amquel+ to counteract the High Nitrates we have (40+ all the time). I am hopefully going to be able to slowly go back to tap water after the ground water clears up a bit this winter, the boughten water route with 4 tanks right now is really expensive.

Rose

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks everybody! Hope and I waited as long as we could, then went to Petsmart. I bought the Stresscoat, only because it was what the person that gave me our tank had been using and I had used up what was left in that bottle. I wasn't sure if it would upset the apple-cart to go with anything different, so I got the Stresscoat. I do like the idea of using Prime, Boxermom, as I hadn't thought about overdosing before, and I would hate to do that inadvertently...I'll be watching for sales on the stuff I find I'm using a lot....would rather spend money on a better filter or fish! I'm sorry to take so long thanking you - my power strip thingy on my computer burned up and I freaked out thinking my computer was dead! Been a looooooooooooong day! Goodnight everyone
Denise

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Butterfly is correct. Most of the Dechlor agents are the same and while I suppose there could be a problem if you used a ton of the stuff, as long as you remain in the ballpark of the directions, I seriously doubt that an overdose is going to be a problem. If money is an issue, do as she has recommended and get the economical choice. It truly is every bit as good as any of the others. They all do what you are trying to get done - remove the chlorine and chloramine. Some have other fancy things that they are supposed to do besides but it all depends on how much hype you are willing to buy into. I am a sap and bought my stuff by the gallon and so will have it well into the next lifetime but if I had it to do over, I would probably just go with whatever was cheapest.

Rose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry you had such a bad day. The only problem I had with stresscoat was that I have alot of evaporation from my tanks and the aloe doesn't evaporate out. So when I was topping the tanks up and adding stresscoat I was getting little tiny foamy bubbles from an excess of aloe. It won't hurt your fish but it will give you a heart attach until you figure out where the foam is coming from LOL.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom