Dechlorinating Water While Using The Python Water Changer?

Guppykid101

So with any water change I've ever done I do buckets from the kitchen sink and dechlorinate each one before dumping it to ensure all the water is safe. While using a python, the water just goes straight into the tank, so treating that water once it's defused all throughout the tank wouldn't it be less effective to dechlorinate it?

After 3 years I'm fed up with the buckets routine for several hours to get my two tanks done, so I'm really considering finally getting a python, however, with housing GBRs and plants in my tanks I don't want to stress them out with not being able to fully dechlorinate the water..

Bizarro252

Hi! I just asked a similar question so I will link it below - but at least with Prime (what I use, and what a lot of people recommend because its awesome) it works basically instantly so you can dump it in and put water right in behind it and be fine. Myself, I still turn the filter off when doing water changes just in case but that's me

I LOVE MY PYTHON and probably would not have more than one tank if I didnt have it...

AWheeler

I use a phython. I also use Prime. The water gets sucked out, the Prime gets put in after I've turned on the water. I've also put the Prime in and then turned on the water. It doesn't seem to matter either way honestly. None of my fish have ever gotten stressed out from it.

Guppykid101

Hi! I just asked a similar question so I will link it below - but at least with Prime (what I use, and what a lot of people recommend because its awesome) it works basically instantly so you can dump it in and put water right in behind it and be fine. Myself, I still turn the filter off when doing water changes just in case but that's me

I LOVE MY PYTHON and probably would not have more than one tank if I didnt have it...
I guess it does make sense that if you dumped in dechlorinator to dechlorinated water it would just sit there until it had something to dechlorinate, lol long words! Thank you so much for the advice, I have heard nothing but good things about these things!

I use a phython. I also use Prime. The water gets sucked out, the Prime gets put in after I've turned on the water. I've also put the Prime in and then turned on the water. It doesn't seem to matter either way honestly. None of my fish have ever gotten stressed out from it.
So it doesn't really matter if I dose prime before, during or after the water change?

Last edited by a moderator:

AWheeler

I'd not do it after you were done filling it up. Sometimes I forget to add it before I turn on the faucet and I put it in there after I've started filling it up (when only like 1-2 gallons of water have gone into the tank).

Bizarro252

^ Yep, I would make sure you got it in as early as you can, I usually turn the water on first then dose the prime into the stream of water simply because if I dump the prime into the tank the fish instantly go for it thinking its food and its probably not the best for them to swim in a concentrated cloud of chemicals

Chaory

Been doing that for years also. Dose the entire tank with Prime, then add in the water from the sink with the water changer. Never have a problem.

MaddieTaylah

The only con is that you have to dose the volume of the entire tank rather than just the amount of water being added for this to work, and so this method is more costly.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

I made my own python out of vinyl tubing and fittings from the hardware store. When I put the faucet adapter together I put an extra chamber for prime. It wasn't necessary but I figured why not. It essentially works like a fertilzer adapter for your hose.

Otherwise just dose prime according to the full volume of your tank and then add water.

MaddieTaylah

I made my own python out of vinyl tubing and fittings from the hardware store. When I put the faucet adapter together I put an extra chamber for prime. It wasn't necessary but I figured why not. It essentially works like a fertilzer adapter for your hose.

Otherwise just dose prime according to the full volume of your tank and then add water.
Smart idea!

Bizarro252

I like this idea! I think I will just dose my prime right into the hose from now on

Tiny_Tanganyikans

You can make an adapter from home depot or lowes or spend a couple extra bucks for the miracle gro adapter, it will fit on a python as well. Its bigger but does the same thing, best part is you can put a whole bottle of prime and adjust it according to water volume

Bizarro252

You can make an adapter from home depot or lowes or spend a couple extra bucks for the miracle gro adapter, it will fit on a python as well. Its bigger but does the same thing, best part is you can put a whole bottle of prime and adjust it according to water volume
If you put something like that inline and cracked the flow through it wide open, do you suppose it would help degas the water at all? That is one thing I dislike about the python and am looking for ways to fix/help.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

If you put something like that inline and cracked the flow through it wide open, do you suppose it would help degas the water at all? That is one thing I dislike about the python and am looking for ways to fix/help.
I'm no scientist but I suppose, its very similar to a powerhead/filter with a venturi, if you leave the cap off the chamber it pulls oxygen with it. So I'd imagine it would.

You can put anything in the chamber. I had an issue with ammonia in my tap a little while ago so I was putting zeocarb in the chamber to run new water through, though you have to add an extra valve so tthe water goes through the entire chamber. Its not a complicated setup I think besides the vinyl tubing it cost me less than 10 $ to make all the "python" parts and chamber

Bizarro252

Hrm, I might have to look into that... I was thinking about making some sort of fine mesh screen to pop over the end of the python when I refill as after every water change EVERYTHING is covered in bubbled for the rest of the day because of the amount of gas that was dissolved in the new water coming out of solution, I would like to get some of that out before the tank

AvalancheDave

That isn't good. Your fish are at risk of gas bubble trauma.

Mom2some

On the topic of adding Prime before or after adding the new water with a Python...
I can matter, depending on your water chemisty. I have ammonia in my water and had rummy nosed tetras. I didn't add the Prime before adding the water, and then forgot for about 5 minutes, and all the tetras died. So now I add Prime before I add water, just to be safe... and I have stayed away from tetras for the time being. So, it may not matter for YOUR water source, but know what you are working with and make your decision accordingly.

FWIW - I spent the money to buy a Python because I knew I would not be good enough with the water changes & spills if I used buckets. It has been great!

Bizarro252

That isn't good. Your fish are at risk of gas bubble trauma.
I know That's why I am looking for ideas - and letting this OP know in my experience that is the only downside I have had with the python and adding prime right to the water scenario. (you were discussing this issue with me here: Degassing Water When Refilling)

Tiny_Tanganyikans

I know That's why I am looking for ideas - and letting this OP know in my experience that is the only downside I have had with the python and adding prime right to the water scenario. (you were discussing this issue with me here: Degassing Water When Refilling)
Your best bet if its only one aquarium is to get a storage tote and keep it filled with water. A cheap 15 $ pump and you can still use a python. This way it's had time to gas off and distill

Yves

I have a large container next to my tank, I normally fill it with cold water and use prime two days prior to my water change, I bought a ten dollar pump from Amazon when its time to refill the tank I just plug in the pump. Adv is that the water temp is closer to room temp, and I don't use as much prime. If you use water from the tap most people use hot and cold water, the hot water may have added minerals from the copper piping in the tank, which is bad for invertebrate's

AvalancheDave

Another option is to use a smaller tank, such as your hospital tank, to prepare water.

Guppykid101

On the topic of adding Prime before or after adding the new water with a Python...
I can matter, depending on your water chemisty. I have ammonia in my water and had rummy nosed tetras. I didn't add the Prime before adding the water, and then forgot for about 5 minutes, and all the tetras died. So now I add Prime before I add water, just to be safe... and I have stayed away from tetras for the time being. So, it may not matter for YOUR water source, but know what you are working with and make your decision accordingly.

FWIW - I spent the money to buy a Python because I knew I would not be good enough with the water changes & spills if I used buckets. It has been great!
Thanks for the heads up! I have a gorgeous mating pair of GBRs in my 60 and I would really appreciate keeping them healthy haha! I'm 17, so if anything the water buckets back and forth is a pretty decent workout, but lately, having to tote 3/4/5 buckets of water back and forth is just doing its toll on my back!

So with all this positive feedback I will definitely be getting one!!!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom