Decent Stocking For

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What do you guys think of the stocking of my 30 gallon? I plan on overhauling it and rehoming my paradise fish and danios and corydoras to a 55 I'm going to put in my room soon. I'm keeping the sand I have in there, I'll keep it at 76-77 degrees. Stocking is;

8 neon tetras
8 rummynose tetras
8 amano shrimps
5 Lamp eye tetras my dad is giving me from his own stock (neat, eh?)
6 bronze corydoras (funny story; my dad wanted to get brochus splendans and the store gave him bronze instead. Now he has 12, and he got 5 brochus and wants to rehome some of the bronze to my tank, which I'd be happy to )
I've read that Pearl gourami are some of the most peaceful gourami types you can get, getting about 4-5 inches and having nice personalities. I'm wanting to get one.
Either 5 otocinclus or one rubbernose pleco
4 mystery snails from my breeding pair (rip little blue)

The tank is going to be heavily planted and I'm getting a large amount of driftwood and stem plants, like some macala and rotala, some java fern, some sort of carpeting plants? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

RyRyTheAquariumGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi! Sounds like a cool tank! There are many theories on stocking in terms of animal behavior, bio load, etc. I'm a firm believer that stocking to the right level to maximize the levels of natural behavior in my tanks. I believe that this is achieved at a certain point in every situation, no more no less. But that's just me! Humbly, the only concern I have with this stocking plan is that you will have a lot of swimmers at the same level. All of those tetras are going to be in the same swim zone and they may get a bit fin nippy. Just a thought!

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
RyRyTheAquariumGuy said:
Hi! Sounds like a cool tank! There are many theories on stocking in terms of animal behavior, bio load, etc. I'm a firm believer that stocking to the right level to maximize the levels of natural behavior in my tanks. I believe that this is achieved at a certain point in every situation, no more no less. But that's just me! Humbly, the only concern I have with this stocking plan is that you will have a lot of swimmers at the same level. All of those tetras are going to be in the same swim zone and they may get a bit fin nippy. Just a thought!
What would you move or replace with something else? Maybe some sort of topwater swimmers or maybe keep one single kind of tetra instead?

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FriarThomasIII said:
What would you move or replace with something else? Maybe some sort of topwater swimmers or maybe keep one single kind of tetra instead?
Also, the lamp eyes are a must, and maybe I could replace the rummynose with red serpae tetra my dad is considering to rehome?

RyRyTheAquariumGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FriarThomasIII said:
In my opinion, the BEST surface fish for tanks this size are hatchet fish. At first I HATED them. Then as I kept them I realized how funny they are and how they just glide around like little angels almost! Just an AWESOME top level swimmer with tons of personality and they are super hardy. Trust me, they grow on you.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The temp is a little high for the neons, but lowering it would be too low for the rummynose. I'd consider rehoming one of the species, especially since you have three schooling species (which is too many, in my opinion, so definitely don't add Serpaes). You'd then have room for more lampeyes (what species are they?).

The pearl gourami will also need the warmer temps, too warm for the neons. The rubberlip and the otos will need cooler water.

I would pick either cooler water fish or warmer water fish, and then stock the tank appropriately

Is the tank 30 or 36" long?

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
The temp is a little high for the neons, but lowering it would be too low for the rummynose. I'd consider rehoming one of the species, especially since you have three schooling species (which is too many, in my opinion, so definitely don't add Serpaes). You'd then have room for more lampeyes (what species are they?).

The pearl gourami will also need the warmer temps, too warm for the neons. The rubberlip and the otos will need cooler water.

I would pick either cooler water fish or warmer water fish, and then stock the tank appropriately

Is the tank 30 or 36" long?
I've commonly seen pearls with neons, but if that's the case, I might pick and choose something else. I'm open for suggestions and it's still in the brainstorming phase.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FriarThomasIII said:
I've commonly seen pearls with neons, but if that's the case, I might pick and choose something else. I'm open for suggestions and it's still in the brainstorming phase.
And they are just red eye tetra

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Red eye tetra, not lampeye tetra?

I would still rehome one species of schooler.

So you want to go with the cooler water stocking?

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
Red eye tetra, not lampeye tetra?

I would still rehome one species of schooler.

So you want to go with the cooler water stocking?
I currently want to do something else other than cool water, and I keep a paradise fish and danios and peppered corydoras, so I want a change. Would the red eyes be okay to keep with them at about 73-74 degrees?

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think I might keep everyone in the 30 for now, and have stocking at;
5 Serpae Tetra
5 Red Eye Tetra
6 Bronze Corydoras
3 Peppered Corydoras (have fry being raised in the box)
3 Bandit Corydoras (soon to be rehomed)
1 Paradise Fish
6 Danios

Would this be a better stocking list? I think it would work better temperature wise and swimming space wise with tall plants and lots of driftwood and hiding places. The tank would be kept at 73-74 degrees. @TexasDomer would this be better? If the serpae won't work, I just won't claim them from my Dad's tank.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FriarThomasIII said:
5 Serpae Tetra
5 Red Eye Tetra
6 Bronze Corydoras
1 Paradise Fish
6 Danios

Would this be a better stocking list? I think it would work better temperature wise and swimming space wise with tall plants and lots of driftwood and hiding places. The tank would be kept at 73-74 degrees. @TexasDomer would this be better? If the serpae won't work, I just won't claim them from my Dad's tank.
Also, I'm considering not taking the red eyes and getting black phantom tetra instead. They are gorgeous!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FriarThomasIII said:
5 Serpae Tetra
5 Red Eye Tetra
6 Bronze Corydoras
1 Paradise Fish
6 Danios

FriarThomasIII said:
Also, I'm considering not taking the red eyes and getting black phantom tetra instead. They are gorgeous!
I think you have too many schooling species in your tank, so I wouldn't swap them out for something, but instead just rehome them. You have one too many species of mid/upper dweller (danios, serpae, red eyes) and two too many species of bottom dweller (bronze, peppered, and bandit cories). In this size tank, I'd only have two species of mid/upper dwellers and one species of bottom schooler. You could then do 8 -10 of each species though.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
I think you have too many schooling species in your tank, so I wouldn't swap them out for something, but instead just rehome them. You have one too many species of mid/upper dweller (danios, serpae, red eyes) and two too many species of bottom dweller (bronze, peppered, and bandit cories). In this size tank, I'd only have two species of mid/upper dwellers and one species of bottom schooler. You could then do 8 -10 of each species though.
I don't own any of these except the danios and 3 peppered corydoras and 3 bandit corydoras. The others will be rehomed unless I add them in mine, which is why I'm asking. Evidently, it wouldn't work. So how about; getting 4 more danios and having 10 and having 5 peppered corydoras and 5 bronze corydoras and keeping the paradise fish? The danios are just top water fish and I rarely see them schooling away from the surface of the tank.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Even if you don't own some of the fish in the tank, I'd still stock it correctly. So you can rehome the fish you own and stock more of the species that are in the tank that aren't yours.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
Even if you don't own some of the fish in the tank, I'd still stock it correctly. So you can rehome the fish you own and stock more of the species that are in the tank that aren't yours.
Alright, so I've been doing research and some figuring, and I've discovered these really neat coolwater fish called Florida Flagfish and that they need to be in a trio. Would a single male and two females be okay? Or all 3 females? Maybe for stocking, keep it calm and low on schooling fish and densely planted, have;
a trio of flagfish
one paradise fish
6 peppered corydoras
6 danio rerio
one rubber lip pleco

and just leaving it as that. I'd keep the tank at about 72-73 depending on the room temp (sometimes reaches 75 if our air conditioning sucks that day) and the PH is about 7.3 without wood, plan on getting to about 7. Better?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Much better! Watch the paradise fish - I'm not sure how they get along with flagfish. I would even add a few more cories.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I
TexasDomer said:
Much better! Watch the paradise fish - I'm not sure how they get along with flagfish. I would even add a few more cories.
've done some reading and people have kept flagfish and paradise together, as both of them are semi-aggressive fish. I just have to make sure to feed them algae pellets, give them algae to graze on and break line of sight so they aren't constantly seeing each other. I think I'll keep the corydoras at about 6/7 and get 2 more danios, as they are biting eachother a lot. That would mean;
6 corydoras,
paradise fish
8 danio
3 florida flagfish
rubberlip pleco

This should be better stocking

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The paradise fish should be fed things other than algae wafers. They're more invertebrate eaters. I'd get them a good flake or pellet and some live or frozen foods. The flagfish would also benefit from some of these as well, they're not strictly algae eaters.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom