Decent Gravel Cleaner...?

andiuk

Reaction score
hello guys!

can some recommend a good gravel cleaner? the syphon that I was using doesn't seem to be doing a very good job, and it's a total !#%@!~ to use and the gravel is starting to turn from it's nice ivory colour to a browny colour 'coz of the algee and debris etc etc!

any suggestions very welcome!

andy

Terry

Reaction score
Hi. I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me, but I've always considered that yukky brownish coating that gets on the gravel is a good sign. I usually have it start showing up about the time a tank has finished cycling, or shortly after. To me it's an indication that the bacteria we want in the tanks has finally gained a foothold on colonizing the gravel. Gravel cleaning won't remove it, and in my case I don't want to remove it all. I just use a siphon to get the loose stuff out.

Thoughts from anyone else?

Goldfishcare

Reaction score
Terry said:
Hi. I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me, but I've always considered that yukky brownish coating that gets on the gravel is a good sign. I usually have it start showing up about the time a tank has finished cycling, or shortly after. To me it's an indication that the bacteria we want in the tanks has finally gained a foothold on colonizing the gravel. Gravel cleaning won't remove it, and in my case I don't want to remove it all. I just use a siphon to get the loose stuff out.

Is your tank near sun light that might be it.

Terry

Reaction score
Goldfishcare said:
Terry said:

HI - are you asking andiuk or me? I have no algae problem myself, and my tank isn't close to a window. I like to see a little "gunk" coating on my gravel.

Goldfishcare

Reaction score
Terry said:
Goldfishcare said:
Terry said:

HI - are you asking andiuk or me? I have no algae problem myself, and my tank isn't close to a window. I like to see a little "gunk" coating on my gravel. 
I'm asking you.That greeny staff is something I don't know about.

Luniyn

Well Known
Reaction score
seems to be a favorite of a lot of people here. I just use one that I got from my local pet store that has a squeeze ball in the middle of the tube. You just squeeze it a few times and the water starts flowing. Then I just poke it around my rocks a bit and up comes the debris. I haven't seen a picture of it online though.

Terry

Reaction score
I just use a cheapo siphon - the type with the big end that you move back & forth in the tank to get it started siphoning. I always wash & rinse my hands first to avoid introducing anything that may be on my hands into the tank.

Gargoyle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Terry said:

100% Agree with the above.. ;D Just let it roll.. The brown stuff will go away and if your lucky after adding a few live plants you may start the see some beautiful growth from your plants since the nutrients are clearly there for them.. ;D

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The brown algae is probably diatoms a common form of algae that occurs in new tanks, nothing to worry about and goes away in a little bit.

OP
andiuk

andiuk

Reaction score
thanks so much guys... it's okay, found myself a 3 in 1 cleaner/syphon thingy, so i'm going to use that - I tried using one of those thingies that you move up & down, but it didn't appear to be cleaning anything, and it was driving me to a murderuous rage!

well, to clarify: yes, my tank is about 5ft from a window, however, it's south-facing, and to be honest, more light is generated by the tank bulb than the window!

okay, well, I'll take it as a good sign anyways... my little cory's seem to like whatever it is to eat anyways! they're natures vacuum cleaners! lol

lyndatu

Reaction score
Some fish can be good, too! I recommend some ottos. Buy 2-3 of them and they will become your algae cleaning crew! Or, maybe some Gold Inca Snails can do the trick!

Oh and I quite agree that some algae can be good for bacteria. Some fish may sometimes eat it, too!

Good luck!

New Threads