Question Deceased Apple Snail

HarleyQuinn19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 3gal tank (probably more like 2.5gal taking gravel etc into account) with a male beta, an Apple snail and a nerite snail. I've had the three of them for nearly a year. (I do regular wc, and pH, ammonia nitrates, and nitrite levels are all perfect.)

For the past week or so my Apple snail would lay on his side half out of his shell. Then he'd pull back in. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Yesterday I started noticing a super thin like fuzz (for lack of a better word) coming out of his shell. He was still behaving the same way he had been so I left him alone. This morning I woke up to find him completely out of his shell and the shell was empty. Now I know for certain he's dead, unfortunately; however, I don't know what to do with what's left of him or his shell.

The last apple snail I had was eaten by my nerite and this apple snail. My nerite isn't going near the area my apple snail is.

Do I remove his body? Is it causing issues with the levels in the tank? Will it cause issues? Do I leave the shell? I've heard that I should because it helps with calcium levels etc, but I don't want to harm my beta nor my nerite snail. So what do I do?

Thanks in advance.

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Remove the snail as soon as possible. Otherwise, your tank will begin to smell horrible and you will experience an ammonia spike (most likely)

OP
HarleyQuinn19

HarleyQuinn19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just removed both the snail and shell. The tank doesn't smell but I'm doing a wc anyway. When I scooped it up it started desintegrating as soon as I touched it. And it smelled horrible.

Thank y'all so much!

I'm off to do a wc.

New Threads