Decaying plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by SilverMIssy, Aug 3, 2015.

1. SilverMIssy

SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

Hello,

So I think what's causing my ammonia to keep rising rather than staying stable and then falling is that I have this white cloudy looking matter I between the stems of my rooted plants which I'm assuming is decaying plant matter. The issue is I can't seem to get at it to clean it and my siphon is not small enough to suck it up.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438607408.448915.jpg

What do you guys use? I don't have a turkey baster but I was thinking it may help.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes decaying plant matter and dead fish can cause ammonia to increase.

3. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

Would a turkey baster be useful to get in those tight spots or is there something better to use?

4. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Yes a turkey baster works great for spot cleans and should be part of every fishkeepers tools. Much easier than trying to syphon out small stuff, IMO. Alison

5. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

Just got a baster and cleaned up all the decaying material. Snipped any questionable plant leaves and did another 20-25% water change (did the same yesterday) because my ammonia is not coming down :/ I've double dosed both prime and stability so let's see how tomorrow's test results turn out. Fingers crossed. I know I have beneficial bacterial because my nitrites are climbing everyday. It just seems my ammonia is climbing faster than nitrites everyday instead of declining which I just don't understand. Let's hope my suspicion was right and it was all the dead plant matter.

6. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

Ammonia is back up again! From .25ppm yesterday after the water change to .50ppm! Seriously! What the is going on. I'm out of ideas. I even increased the filtration system which my betta is not too happy about but what else can I do????!!!!

My nitrites are increasing but the ammonia is not decreasing with it.

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Does your betta actually looked like its distressed? Maybe its the Stability working and giving you some weird readings.

8. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

No, not at all. No having breathing and happy as a clam. I have increased the filtration and think I'll keep it a tad faster since 10 gallon tanks are harder to keep stable (at least that's what I hear/read).

Should I just let everything be? Stop doing the pwc and just keep dosing prime and stability?

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes unless your fish is in actual distress, you shouldnt do anything... it'll just prolong the cycle and you'll basically be removing the Stability bacteria with the water changes. It takes time for the bacteria to adhere to surfaces! (Believe it or not)

10. NinjaTetra

NinjaTetraWell Known MemberMember

How ling has the betta been in there? Maybe the tank isn't completely cycled? In my experience, the only times I can find ammonia is if I double the amount if fish ( which is something most people ever do once per fishtank) or if I change the filter padding, sometimes there will be a tiny brief spike, but my sponge filter usually keeps things in check. Maybe just dose prime, I don't see a reason to dose two different brands of ammonia neutralizer... Also, what out for the nitrites that will be coming

~ <-----thats one of those cool squiggly lines you do before a signature.

11. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

The tank isn't completely cycled. He's been in there for 2 weeks. First week I only did 1 water change as water levels where form.

This week I've done 3 every day because the ammonia is rising instead of staying stable. I've been keeping a log:
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438705566.307431.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

August 4 should say 20-25% not 30-25%.

13. NinjaTetra

Keep that going, it sounded like it may not have been cycled. Do you have another tank or a friend who has tanks? If you can get some "seeded" filter media it'll be cycled in a couple days. Even a local pet store may let you have some, but probably not a chain store like Petco or Petsmart. Its the most simple fix. When I cycled my 37, I took the filtration packet of carbon and stuff from my 10 and put it in the new filter. I then moved my tetras over and it was cycled in like two days. I highly recommend that process.

14. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

I'm using stability to seed. I'm doing to try and wait out the water changes and keep dosing prime to protect the fish. I think Dom90 is right; it takes a bit to get the bacterial to settle into surfaces and my water changes could be slowing everything down by too any frequent pwc before the bacteria has time to attach itself.

15. NinjaTetra

Stability is alright, imo it takes longer. Good luck. If anything can stand a bit if ammonia its probably a betta!

16. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

Btw, to answer your question about if I or friends have tanks, the answer is no lol. Didn't mean to ignore that comment.

17. NinjaTetra

Its fine :) decaying plants shouldn't be the main ammonia issue though, so don't worry too much

18. pptNew MemberMember

I think u are not providing essential lightings.
    Plus add some liquid fertilizers, and co2 (liquid) if possible.
    And come those brown leaves, so that new leaves may groe fast

Sent from my SM-T211 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. Et tuValued MemberMember

Just running this by you, could any plant roots be rotting? I have seen tanks with high ammonia and the cause turned out to be from decaying roots.

20. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

I've cleaned out all the plants so all that's left is health leaves and healthy roots. I'll be keeping a eye on them though. Thanks guys. Btw lighting is good for these plants. They're very low light.

It's the coral life 50/50 fluorescent.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice