75 Gallon Tank Deathly Skinny Danio

Gameynerd23

Hello, I just now noticed this horribly skinny danio in my 75 gallon tank. All of the other danios are either a bit round, probably from eggs, or are lean, but healthy looking. I have about 40 in there and I was told on here that glofish are prone to strange issues. I feed them a medium sized pinch of API tropical flakes at least once a day, but mostly twice. They also peck on shrimp pellets until the Dojo Loaches eat them. I hadn't noticed until now because there are so many in the tank. It looks pretty terrible, so I don't think there's much I can do... I did feed a cube of bloodworms and the skinny one ate a few worms, but it wasn't as enthusiastic about eating as the other danios. I don't have high hopes for this little guy. I do have a mesh breeder box I use for quarantine, so I may put it in there so it can get more dedicated food.

EDIT: I didn't think it would get out-competed that badly, especially considering the other danios all look so good. I don't think it'll survive, but it's still swimming and I have a betta who recovered from a bad case of popeye and he would just sit at the bottom of the tank. 20210323_214610.jpg20210323_214602.jpg

marmaaa

Is its stomach an upside "u" shape? I have heard that sunken in stomachs can be parasites sometimes

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

Is its stomach an upside "u" shape? I have heard that sunken in stomachs can be parasites sometimes
Yeah, it's pretty sunken in. I have medicine for internal issues (Either API Melafix or Pimafix, I have both, so I get them mixed up until I check the bottle). I want the danio to get better, or at least say I did something to help, so I'll start treating it with medicine. The fish is in a breeder box right now with mesh walls, so there's still water flow. Should I dose enough for the whole tank or just the box?

Upvote 0

marmaaa

Yeah, it's pretty sunken in. I have medicine for internal issues (Either API Melafix or Pimafix, I have both, so I get them mixed up until I check the bottle). I want the danio to get better, or at least say I did something to help, so I'll start treating it with medicine. The fish is in a breeder box right now with mesh walls, so there's still water flow. Should I dose enough for the whole tank or just the box?
I dont think pimafix or melafix is usually the best for this since this could be a parasite and not something fugal or bacterial. How does their poo look like?

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

I dont think pimafix or melafix is usually the best for this since this could be a parasite and not something fugal or bacterial. How does their poo look like?
I haven't caught it pooping yet, so I'm not sure. I also have API Super Ich Cure. I used that to great effect with my betta, so I really like it. The Ich Cure bottle also says it helps with Cryptocaryon. But, the Ich Cure also says scaless fish are sensitive to the medicine, like my five Dojo Loaches, and I don't want them to get harmed by it.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

I've been giving about 1ml of API super Ich Cure and I'm crossing my fingers it helps and doesn't bother my Dojo Loaches. The breeder box the sick fish is in is mesh, so the medicine does eventually flow out, but not so quickly that the sick danio can't get some into its system. It hasn't died yet, so I'm hoping I can save it. But, if it does pass, I'll just have to hope it didn't spread anything to the other danios.

Upvote 0

marmaaa

I've been giving about 1ml of API super Ich Cure and I'm crossing my fingers it helps and doesn't bother my Dojo Loaches. The breeder box the sick fish is in is mesh, so the medicine does eventually flow out, but not so quickly that the sick danio can't get some into its system. It hasn't died yet, so I'm hoping I can save it. But, if it does pass, I'll just have to hope it didn't spread anything to the other danios.
I dont know if Ich Cure can help you danio if he has parasites. You could try prazipro meds which could help or even fenbendazole fish food. Is he still eating?

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

I dont know if Ich Cure can help you danio if he has parasites. You could try prazipro meds which could help or even fenbendazole fish food. Is he still eating?
All I've seen it eat are the few bloodworms I gave it the other day. It won't eat flakes or nibble on a shrimp pellet from what I've seen. I'll try to feed it some more bloodworms. Can I get Prazipro or Fenbendazole at a big box store like PetSmart/Petco? I've got four of them around here. If not, I can check with one of the LFS.
I forgot, I also have a few packets of API General Cure, if that would help.

Upvote 0

marmaaa

All I've seen it eat are the few bloodworms I gave it the other day. It won't eat flakes or nibble on a shrimp pellet from what I've seen. I'll try to feed it some more bloodworms. Can I get Prazipro or Fenbendazole at a big box store like PetSmart/Petco? I've got four of them around here. If not, I can check with one of the LFS.
I forgot, I also have a few packets of API General Cure, if that would help.
API General cure might help im not sure if PraziPro is sold in the big box stores. Fenbendzole is dog dewormer. I use SafeGuard dog dewormer and soak food in it and feed it to the fish. It should help with any internal parasites. Both the General Cure and fenbendazole food should help. The dog dewormer must contain only Fenbendazole as the ingredient and can be found in big box stores. I usually take a little bit out of the packet (there are 3 packets in a safeguard box and I split each packet 3 times and dissolve it in 1c of warm water) not all will dissolve but thats alright. I soak the food in there for 5 minutes and feed them. Its worked well for me.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

API General cure might help im not sure if PraziPro is sold in the big box stores. Fenbendzole is dog dewormer. I use SafeGuard dog dewormer and soak food in it and feed it to the fish. It should help with any internal parasites. Both the General Cure and fenbendazole food should help.
Alright, I'll get some more general cure while I'm out. I'll try that before I try the dog medicine. I'll have to treat the whole tank, just to be safe. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

marmaaa

Alright, I'll get some more general cure while I'm out. I'll try that before I try the dog medicine. I'll have to treat the whole tank, just to be safe. Thanks for the help!
No problem, I edited the post. I would do the food first because its not that strong compared to the API. Feed the whole tank with it to make sure all get it.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

No problem, I edited the post. I would do the food first because its not that strong compared to the API. Feed the whole tank with it to make sure all get it.
Ok. I'll get the stuff for both methods, just in case, and it's always good to have extra fish medicine.
Will API General Cure affect scales fish or is it safe for them? It doesn't say it's harmful on the box, but it also doesn't say it's safe.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom