Deathly ill betta is happy? I am confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokatie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
1 betta, 2.5 gallon tank with hydor minheater, snail, apologen. HAD an undergravel filter/airstone/bubbler. 50% water changes every week, tetra bettasafe. Fed pellets 6 days a week, freezedried bloodworms occasionally.

last week I noticed my betta had fin rot. Purchased the lifeguard all-in-one treatment because suggested by pet store. Immediately upon returning home from pet store, accidentally crushed betta with the large filter base (i was sure he was dead, only half his motionless body showing, naturally was horrified) ended up with large scrape on back, scales scraped off belly, skull slightly squashed into an ironically happier expression. Remained active, never been a huge eater but was acting hungry that evening despite having already had an afternon meal so i gave him some pellets which he DEVOURED.

I had turned off his filter becaue i thought i should, at which point i noticed he was building a BUBBLE NEST (not a sickly, random, broken up one, but a full on sticky big one) which i thought only healthy bettas did? which confused me. I then realized he should have a filter, so i got him a new filter section for his old one. left the room for 20 minutes, when i came back the only part i could see of him were his two front fins sucked up the tube, the rest of his body was hidden under the filter. I once again was sure he was dead and mangled horribly, but he swam out seemingly unharmed (although missing the rotted part of his upper fin) when the filter was lifted. I have removed the filter, and am just doing 50% changes everyday.

Anyways, the thing really bothering me right now is that ever since these horrible things happened to him (5 days ago) he has been the cheeriest hes ever been. Very active, eating like a pig, building bubble nests daily that i remove with the water changes, doesnt flare when strangers approach the tank, good bright colors, follows me around the glass. Not to mention the happier facial expression. (he's always been very active, but certainly a bit of an aggressive grump)

How is this possible? I really dont have much faith in the lifeguard stuff, and am terrified that i am reading the signs all wrong and am going to come home to a floater. Has anyone had similar experiences or knows if these signs are bad? I am especially worried because his stomach got squished and he is so hungry ALL THE TIME. Thanks!

(ps, the large scrape has formed a very thick white coating)

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you're worried the pet store reccomended stuff isn't going to cut it, get Jungle fungus Eliminator and put 1/4 tablet in, but only if you're sure it's fin rot.
Seems like your betta's pretty torn up, look into making a DIY flow diffusor.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Good advice from Shiba, but I would have to ask why you think he has fin rot, what are his symptoms. I also would suggest for a 2.5gal tank getting a tom 1-5filter. It has a gph control on it so it can be set to a relativly low level and keep your tank filtered for your betta. I would also get some vitachem for his torn fins. It will help them regrow. As for the scrap...is the thick white stuff stringy and moving around?

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, i didn't think about that.
I think one of mine is coming down with fin rot again, i can't tell if he's regrowing or not, lol
But your's could have an infection from having an open wound definetly.

Edit: Welcome to fishlore, so sorry it has to be for this reason though.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome to fishlore. I'm going to offer different advice than furra and shiba gave you.

Do you know what your water parameters are (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates)? Hopefully you have a liquid test kit.

I am wondering if maybe the cause of the problem isn't poor water conditions if the tank hasn't cycled. Meds can sometimes cause more problems than they create, and in a situation like fin rot, treating the symptoms without treating the cause won't solve anything.

Vitachem is a good suggestion, and adding garlic juice to the betta's diet would help too.

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I only reccomend the medication if you are for sure that it is fin rot (and clean water and garlic's not helping) or on the wound, a definite fungal infection.

nokatie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Back to normal!

His back scrape is back to being smooth and black/blue, can't even tell it was ever cut. His top fin has pale ends instead of black/tangled ones. He's also back to being super grumpy/flare-y, stopped blowing bubble nests. The only permanent change seems to be that he is still ALWAYS hungry and now he is super skittish about being removed from the tan for cleaning, which seems fair. He also seems to be sleeping less, always active. I put the filter back in, just changed the substrate to those glass flat marbles. Thanks for all your guys' help!

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Awesome! So glad he's feeling better! Welcome to Fish Lore!

bettalover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe he likes being hurt That is really weird never heard of such a thing!

1 gallon tank- Sun Fire(boy)
3 gallon tank- Berry(boy)
1/2 a gallon(for right now)-Calli(boy/girl?)
10 gallon- Tiffany, Violet, Queen(all girls)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom