Death trap for barbs :(

1. hozzie Member Member

I have a Juwel 180L. The top cover for the filter is detachable by a finger sized hole.

Me and the children have been unwell this past week and I havent paid as much attention to the tanks as usual. Yesterday I noticed that the cover had come off somehow (I assume I didnt put it back tightly enough last waterchange) and was upright behind the plants at the back of the tank.

Stuck in the hole was one of my adult female gold barbs.

When I finally got her out she had massive trauma to her body, mainly her top and underneath where all the scales had been rubbed away. I was going to euthanise her but decided to dose her with antibacterials and antibiotic.
    This morning she had scepticemia, lots of red streaks and fungus. So sadly she has gone.

Two of the other barbs have minor scrapes so I assume she was unlucky. It obviously was irresistable to the barbs.

Am sad (and feeling guilty :( ) she was one of my first ever fish; one of only 3 I have ever named.

Not quite sure why I've written this, other than maybe as a warning.

Attached Files:

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Hozzie. So sorry to hear that you lost your Barb. Sometimes things happen that are just beyond our control. I hope all of you get to feeling better soon!
    RIP!
    Ken

3. rt12 Member Member

Sorry to hear about your fish, it seems to be one of those freak accidents. You could duck tape the lid to the back of the tank so it doesn't happen again. I do that too my glass canopy on my reef tank

4. Shadowbeam Member Member

I'm so sorry to hear that :( It's always sad when these things happen that we never think about x