Death tanks #1 and 3 are officially gone

1. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Grr mycobacterium. You are evil.

:( Well yesterday I'm sorry to say, I finally took apart, drained, and removed the tank of death from my bedroom. All of the surviving fish are in a critter keeper, waiting to be euthanized, as I'm not willing at all to risk spreading this evil disease any further in my tanks.

Due to that and my being paranoid, once I get a few adult lyretail female swords for the re-tank, nothing will ever, ever comingle or be transferred to another tank, or from another tank, etc etc.

The somewhat good news is, I got a new 20gL to fill the spot (I'm not even using that old tank for livebearers again - it's cursed now lol). And today, I got the swordtails that are going to live in it. It's currently barebottom, because I actually forgot to order substrate, because that's how frazzled I've been lately. I have a chunk of plants floating in it, in about 5 gallons of water, for all the fry I got to hide in. Plants came with scuds LOL. So a few cleaners are in there, too.

I got, so far for the tank: 3 female standard fin kohaku swords. 1 male kohaku, one male showa koi that may be a platy hybrid, I'll have to check as he was an extra. One random guppy male (also an extra). A "scoop" sized group of assorted lyretail fry and juvies.

One of the kohaku girls gave birth en route, one baby survived. Unfortunately due to that, I had to pretty much dump that bag of fish straight into the tank and fish out the dead babies, with no acclimation. The water was starting to turn and having experienced what happens when fish die in the bag before, I had no desire to deal with three big dead swordtails.

One of the lyretail babies somehow got itself trapped at the top of the bag, where there was little water, and isn't doing too hot. Swimming like a spiraling football, or with its butt way above its head. Gills are all red on that one, poor thing. I hope it will get better, but I suspect it won't make it and is likely to be eaten.

Now, I just have one tank left to break down. And I just have to keep a super close eye on my fancy bettas, as it's possible some of them were exposed to the bacterium from the swordtail tank via plant transfer, and I honestly don't remember which tank I took their plants from. Poor things :(

2. kittykat0725 Member Member

That's horrible, hope the new tank goes well.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear things went south... how do you think the mycobacterium came to be?

4. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I got a few fish from a LFS. One of them was never healthy and I eventually just euthanized her. Nothing really appeared to be wrong, just general ickiness. Well now 90% of the fish in that tank have caught and died from her ickiness, and two more tanks were infected for sure, as I transferred fish for breeding purposes. My swordtail tank (death tank #1) also housed all of my male breeder guppies. So all of the guppies had to go, because the males went from tank to tank, breeding. :(

I still have to keep an eye on my fancy bettas, as the barracks may or may not have been contaminated, and one of my wilds tanks shared plants with a tank that had a fish that shared a tank with the original sick fish (wow that was long and confusing lol). But the wild bettas have remained totally healthy thus far, no issues at all. Fancies have a bit of fin rot, but some of them also had dead plants in their jars that had to be removed.

5. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

That's really devastating... I'm really sorry. :(

6. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Yep, I learned my lesson. If I buy fish from stores in the future, they will never see my other fish for at least a year. I get most of my stock online, I was just there buying plants (they keep plants in unplumbed tanks so likelihood of contamination was low). Then I was wandering and saw the fish I'd been looking for online, just sitting in a tank in the store. Had to give it a go, and the other female lasted months. Her fry are actually among the survivors of death tank 1.