Death Of 2 Snails???? Ammonia?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by AmunetDeVawn, Aug 20, 2019.

1. AmunetDeVawn

AmunetDeVawnValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    My nitrite levels are very high. What are the best ways to bring it back down. I’ve been doing daily 25-50% water changes and treating the water and intermittent feeding sessions only being every 2 days. If I do a black out could that help? What will help lower this without completely redoing my tank?

2. Asomeone

AsomeoneValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    4 years
    So my first thing would be if you are experiencing death/loss/high levels...whats causing this. If youre doing constant water changes of that quantity I would suspect either a heavily overstocked tank, an ammonia/nitrate/nitrite source in the tank, or the same things in your source water. I dont think a blackout will help since thats normally to cull algae issues not reduce levels. Did you cycle your tank? What is the filtration situation? Stocking? Current levels? Test kit type?

3. OP
    OP
    AmunetDeVawn

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have been doing water changes daily since my nitrite levels went up so only the past 3 days. I have 5 snails in a ten gallon tank and 1 male Betta. The snails who are possibly deceased have been separated into a container i h ave not seen them move. The only 2 that we’re possibly deceased were Nerite snails. My guess was left over food in the tank caused a nitrite spike. My mystery and Betta seem okay. My water is treated before put into the tank even though there are no harsh chemicals in the water , I treat to be Precautious. I’ve used ammonia clear once as well since the ammonia spike as well as water changes. It’s very slowly going down. Any other ideas?

4. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,565
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Your tank probably wasn't cycled. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to fully cycle a tank so that there are no ammonia/nitrite spikes. If you have dead snails in the tank, their rotting bodies will make it worse. I recommend that you thoroughly vacuum your tank and find all youe snails, remove the dead ones and continue to do consecutive big water changes to get your nitrite/ammonia levels down to less than 1 ppm total (ammonia + nitrite). Get some Seachem Prime and start adding that to your tank (according to the directions) to protect your fish. We can help you cycle your tank with a fish in it in a way that will help protect your fish from those toxins while it's cycling. In the mean time, here's some information you need to know about the nitrogen cycle and what your tank is going through. Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

5. Asomeone

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    4 years
    +15 on

6. OP
    OP
    AmunetDeVawn

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    What is the seachem supposed to do the label says it is a water conditioner which I already have.

7. Asomeone

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    4 years
    What is the wording on the bottle?

8. OP
    OP
    AmunetDeVawn

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    This is what I’m looking at

Attached Files:

9. Asomeone

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    4 years
    Okay so you nailed down prime...yep thats what @Momgoose56 was referring to for the water conditioner. I would follow his instructions and try to get the tank cycled.

10. OP
    OP
    AmunetDeVawn

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    How do I do so? Could you break this down into steps for me and recommend what I need to get this done.

11. Asomeone

Ratings:
    +166
    Experience:
    4 years
  12. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,565
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It dechlorinates plus it temporarily converts ammonia and nitrites to a form that is harmless to fish.

That lists 3 other products that do the same thing as Prime.

Start by doing what I said above. Get dead snails out of the tank, get combined total of ammonia (NH3) and nitrites (NO2) to less than 1 ppm, and treat with Prime. You'll need to test ammonia and nitrites every other day and do water changes to keep the levels at less than 1ppm, treat the entire volume of the tank with Prime every 48 hours and treat any replacement water with Prime. That is essentially what you will be doing for the next 4-6 weeks to get the tank cycled. You are growing nitrifying bacteria in the tank that break down ammonia and nitrites to nitrates. Ultimately, the goal is to grow enough bacteria in the substrate and filter media in the tank that your NH3 and NO4 remain at 0. What is your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels right now? What test kit are you using?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019

Become a Fishlore Member