Dear lord... Velvet?!?!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10g (currently working on upgrading to a 50g)
How long has the tank been running? Over 3 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 75-78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 3 adult mollies, 5 baby mollies (in breeder net), 2 black kuhli loaches

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 50% each week
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Top Fin water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Just water as of now

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API test strips... Ran out a while ago though
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Previously was-

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5
pH:7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day for mollies, at night for loaches
How much do you feed your fish? 1 flake at a time, 2-3 small shrimp pellets, powdered shrimp pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Top Fin tropical flakes, omega one shrimp pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1.5-2 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Faint yellow/gold patches by eyes and gills
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Yes, some missing scales and got fungus soon after purchase
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Not really for behaviour, still active, eating well. Appearance- small gold patches

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Nothing really except gold patches... Very faint. I'll try to get a picture.

I'll admit- i haven't done a WC in a week and a half. Schools been a b**ch and honors classes suck.

She is a dalmatian lyretail molly. Her name is Dina.

Kinda panicking here... would really appreciate some input!

Sadly I can't treat with salt as I have kuhli loaches, which are scaleless.

I really, really can't lose another fish- I'm already so traumatized,, i just can't.

Can you provide a picture ?
Here's two pics... It's really hard to see so I circled it.

No flashing/rubbing.

She seems a little lethargic, but shes the calmer one anyway so its hard to tell any difference.

What exactly is fin clamping? She keeps her top fin, the one on her back, down quite a lot normally as well...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200520-155014.png
    Screenshot_20200520-155014.png
    296.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20200520-154941.png
    Screenshot_20200520-154941.png
    361.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20200520-154928.png
    Screenshot_20200520-154928.png
    414.5 KB · Views: 51
She is actually more lethargic than normal... should I be trying to put her in my QT tank? What do I do? The other mollies seem fine and the loaches are hiding/sleeping...

Can you provide a picture ?
Blueberrybetta
So sorry to tag you but my anxiety is going nuts... not good. I'm panicky and stressy.. really scared.
This isn't good for me or the fish but i can't help/control it

I would QT her, yes. Have you added any other fish/plants recently that you didnt quarantine before?
About a week or so ago I got plants from Addictedtobettas , and no- I didn't quarentine them. But that was a while ago?

Is the affected molly scratching up agaisnt anything? Clamped fins is basically how her fins look now, tucked down. Would you say any other fish seem affected? Rubbing against objects or notice small patches on them as well.

Velvet is a contagious parasite, it can be hard to tell if your other fish are already affected but it may be best to go ahead and treat the main tank instead of QT her. Almost all Ich medication contains Malachite Green, which is what helps treat Velvet. It can be found in "API Fungus Cure" as well. Treat according to package

Is the affected molly scratching up agaisnt anything? Clamped fins is basically how her fins look now, tucked down. Would you say any other fish seem affected? Rubbing against objects or notice small patches on them as well.

Velvet is a contagious parasite, it can be hard to tell if your other fish are already affected but it may be best to go ahead and treat the main tank instead of QT her. Almost all Ich medication contains Malachite Green, which is what helps treat Velvet. It can be found in "API Fungus Cure" as well. Treat according to package
Ack... ok. Just QTd her.

No, she isn't scratching. None of the other fish are either, and I can't see patches on them... but one is already gold and the other orange. It'd be hard to see.

I have ick medicine. It says to dose half-doses though, as I have scaleless fish.

Also, won't it stain my decor? Will it hurt my plants?

The medicine says that it has benzaldehyde green... not malachite. Will it still do the same thing?

or are they the same thing?

Ack... ok. Just QTd her.

No, she isn't scratching. None of the other fish are either, and I can't see patches on them... but one is already gold and the other orange. It'd be hard to see.

I have ick medicine. It says to dose half-doses though, as I have scaleless fish.

Also, won't it stain my decor? Will it hurt my plants?

Yes be cautious with doses if you have scaleless fish , so follow the directions carefully. I do know most fish medications will kill inverts and plants so it may be best to maybe add some silk ones instead for stress. Benzaldehyde green is the same thing as Malachite green ! So yes that works

Yes be cautious with doses if you have scaleless fish , so follow the directions carefully. I do know most fish medications will kill inverts and plants so it may be best to maybe add some silk ones instead for stress. Benzaldehyde green is the same thing as Malachite green ! So yes that works
Should I be trying to remove all my plants...? It's a planted tank... this is crazy

I also have 5 few-day-old molly fry in a breeder net in the main tank. Will it hurt them?

Should I be trying to remove all my plants...? It's a planted tank... this is crazy

I also have 5 few-day-old molly fry in a breeder net in the main tank. Will it hurt them?
Could I just put all the fish into the QT? I know it's a lot to have 3 mollies and 2 kuhlis in a 3.5g... but the babies and plants?

Edit: Looked it up... it is plant safe.

Found some other threads- it says that babies should be ok, especially at half dose.

Should I just try to treat the whole tank then?

Super ick Cure by API

I think I may just treat the whole tank, supposedly the meds are safe for both plants and babies.,

I looked on the website and it says Its safe for plants so I would go ahead a treat the whole tank then. If it starts to spread to the other fish or gets worse after 1-2 weeks of treatment, then i would switch to a stronger concentration of Malachite Green in liquid form. Dont forget to do water changes as reccomend so the medication doesnt build up and cause an overdose. Also if you have any Activated Carbon in your filter media, remove it all because it will filter out the medication and waste it

I looked on the website and it says Its safe for plants so I would go ahead a treat the whole tank then. If it starts to spread to the other fish or gets worse after 1-2 weeks of treatment, then i would switch to a stronger concentration of Malachite Green in liquid form. Dont forget to do water changes as reccomend so the medication doesnt build up and cause an overdose. Also if you have any Activated Carbon in your filter media, remove it all because it will filter out the medication and waste it
Ok... gotta tell my parents first. They won't be happy but they have to know.

How do I check for carbon?

Also... do you think it really is velvet? if so... that terrifies me as it supposedly has a very low survival rate...

Ok... gotta tell my parents first. They won't be happy but they have to know.

How do I check for carbon?

Also... do you think it really is velvet? if so... that terrifies me as it supposedly has a very low survival rate...

Activated carbon will look like tiny black rocks.
Screenshot_20200520-190448_Gallery.jpg

They are either placed in separate mesh bags or directly in the filter media. Do you have HOB filter ? Or a sponge filter ? Sponge filters dont require activated carbon.

For Velvet, usually the gold dusting is in bigger patches and the fish will scratch itself against rocks or decor, they will also glass surf , become lethargic, not eat . If she has any of those symptoms besides the gold dusting, then im afraid it is velvet

View attachment 698455

They are either placed in separate mesh bags or directly in the filter media. Do you have HOB filter ? Or a sponge filter ? Sponge filters dont require activated carbon.

For Velvet, usually the gold dusting is in bigger patches and the fish will scratch itself against rocks or decor, they will also glass surf , become lethargic, not eat . If she has any of those symptoms besides the gold dusting, then im afraid it is velvet
I have a HOB.

She sadly is lethargic... although still eating.

Cr*p- i'm so terrified.

Hang on with the panicking. You have't confirmed velvet and you are going to medicate your fish?
No I haven't confirmed it... but it is the most likely thing and I'd rather treat it while I still can than lose another fish.

What else would it be?

View attachment 698455

I put her back into the main tank-
performed a 60-ish% water change and added a little less than half a dose of the ick medicine. Dina looks better already and is more active.

The loaches seem to be fine, and are eating a small shrimp pellet I gave them.

The babies are fine... following me and all the mollies are begging for food.

Per the meds instructions, gonna wait around 48-ish hours and then do a 30-40% WC and see where we're at.

Well as far as I know, copper, temp increase and lights out are the cure for velvet.

And it's more of a dusting along with other signs-flashing for example, as was mentioned, loss of appetite, not eating..

Not doubting your fish is off but you've taken appropriate action in separating the fish into QT.

Edit: just saw your post about treating the WHOLE tank. Unfortunate.

Well as far as I know, copper, temp increase and lights out are the cure for velvet.

And it's more of a dusting along with other signs-flashing for example, as was mentioned, loss of appetite, not eating..

Not doubting your fish is off but you've taken appropriate action in separating the fish into QT.

Edit: just saw your post about treating the WHOLE tank. Unfortunate.
Unfortunate how? She was in the main tank while infected- which means everyone was exposed and possibly infected. I'm treating it like ich- treat the whole tank to eradicate completely.

She is still eating fine, and not scratching- but is lethargic and has clamped fins as well as the patches, and was isolating herself in the back corner, not so much anymore.

I don't know what else gold-yellow patches would be?

• The meds are to be followed as per instructions. It's not for us to decide the dose.
  • Research needs to be done to ensure what you are treating and that you are using the correct treatment. There is usually always time to not panic but proceed with a smart game plan. As I mentioned, I don't think what you put in the tank is the appropriate medication for velvet.
  • Fish get stressed by netting them, putting them in qt. Now it's back in the main tank so what was any of that for?
  • If the other fish were fine then what is the point of subjecting them to meds?
  • The fish in question could have stayed in qt while you observed the main tank.
The cause of velvet is due to at least: bringing in any infected livestock including snails and poor water conditions. I think I read that your tank might not be cycled. You always need to consider water quality as a source for anything wrong with your fish, in addition to researching further as required. As you have had no way to test, it's impossible to tell and yet, likely that water quality is an issue.

Was only trying to help but its frustrating knowing that someone is panicking and most likely to do something that won't help the situation and could take action to make it worse.

• The meds are to be followed as per instructions. It's not for us to decide the dose.
  • Research needs to be done to ensure what you are treating and that you are using the correct treatment. There is usually always time to not panic but proceed with a smart game plan. As I mentioned, I don't think what you put in the tank is the appropriate medication for velvet.
  • Fish get stressed by netting them, putting them in qt. Now it's back in the main tank so what was any of that for?
  • If the other fish were fine then what is the point of subjecting them to meds?
  • The fish in question could have stayed in qt while you observed the main tank.
The cause of velvet is due to at least: bringing in any infected livestock including snails and poor water conditions. I think I read that your tank might not be cycled. You always need to consider water quality as a source for anything wrong with your fish, in addition to researching further as required. As you have had no way to test, it's impossible to tell and yet, likely that water quality is an issue.

Was only trying to help but its frustrating knowing that someone is panicking and most likely to do something that won't help the situation and could take action to make it worse.
I'm sorry for panicking, but I did research it quite a lot... and I looked at pictures of velvet- what Dina has looks very, very similar.

I haven't added any livestock at all- The only thing it could've been is that I forgot to do a WC for a little longer than usual.

I realized after I had Qt'd her that all of them had been exposed, and it would be better to make sure everyone was ok.

I did, and am, following the instructions of the meds. It said half dose, I did half dose.

I've already made it through ich and columnaris- I have hope that it'll all turn out ok.

According to my research- malachite green does help velvet- and that is what is in my meds.

Attachments

• velvet.PNG
    velvet.PNG
    9.9 KB · Views: 17
Don't be sorry for panicking. I totally get it 100%. It's just hard to know that that's going on and not be able to help.

Get a test kit, k???
Ok... thank you for trying to help and giving advice.

I'll try- but strips might be all I can do atm. I'm really tight on money and trying to save up to upgrade my tank.

Grrrrrrr. You'll still need them with your upgraded tank

I think it's been a night, how 'bout you enjoy some of these...

Grrrrrrr. You'll still need them with your upgraded tank

I think it's been a night, how 'bout you enjoy some of these...
Grr indeed... I'll try to get a master test kit ASAP

it's definitely been a rough time.. thank you lol

It doesn't look like Oodinium / Velvet to me.
The parasite is best viewed under subdued light. Lunars work well for illumination. The parasite should look like yellow dust all over the body.
Fish do get lethargic when infected & usually hug the substrate. Oodinium is a quick killer, sort of like Ick on steroids.
I've only had to deal with Velvet once & lost numerous prized fish. Coppersafe was the med that cured the situation.
My guess is that the visible gold patches are just part of the fish's genetics.

The parasite is best viewed under subdued light. Lunars work well for illumination. The parasite should look like yellow dust all over the body.
Fish do get lethargic when infected & usually hug the substrate. Oodinium is a quick killer, sort of like Ick on steroids.
I've only had to deal with Velvet once & lost numerous prized fish. Coppersafe was the med that cured the situation.
The patches were not there until today, though? I've had Dina for about 2 months now and they were not there beforehand- I'm sure of it.

Oodinium is highly contagious & is a potential tank killer. This is one disease that if one has it, they all do.
In my situation, the parasites where all over the body & fins of every fish in the tank. In the later stages of Velvet, flesh actually peels away from the body.
There were no patches, like exhibited on your fish. Copper Sulphate is the best med to treat Oodinium.
Take a breath & relax a bit. Don't nuke your tank with meds until you've positively identified the pathogen. It can do more harm than good.

Oodinium is highly contagious & is a potential tank killer. This is one disease that if one has it, they all do.
In my situation, the parasites where all over the body & fins of every fish in the tank. In the later stages of Velvet, flesh actually peels away from the body.
There were no patches, like exhibited on your fish. Copper Sulphate is the best med to treat Oodinium.
Take a breath & relax a bit. Don't nuke your tank with meds until you've positively identified the pathogen. It can do more harm than good.
Well, I'll take it as a possibility.

All fish and all cases of diseases are different, never identical. There is still a chance.

Luckily, I only did a half-dose of ick meds- which will be removed within 48 hours.

Can you get a clearer picture of the fish in question? I've recently dealt with velvet that had been affecting the fish in question for about a week before I actively noticed (he was not under properly lighting so it was nearly impossible to see, he got fairly skinny quickly, wasn't able to take larger foods, was discolored/pale, and had clamped fins - he has recovered since and needs to put back on weight) velvet will not appear in patches, it covers the whole fish as it is a photosynthesizing parasite (which is why lights out is necessary on top of meds), that kills the fish by also using the fish's blood as a food source.

From what I personally can see (pictures are extremely blurry) it looks like color, dalmations have a bad habit of gaining yellow color if they aren't a pure strain. Velvet is not an intense yellow color, it is a gold shade that can be seen under led and brighter lighting, it does not stay in one spot but covers the whole fish (as it being a blood sucking and photosynthesizing parasite covering more area is beneficial to the parasite to expand itself as much as possible). All treatments used to treat velvet will harm inverts and sometimes plants.

Can you get a clearer picture of the fish in question? I've recently dealt with velvet that had been affecting the fish in question for about a week before I actively noticed (he was not under properly lighting so it was nearly impossible to see, he got fairly skinny quickly, wasn't able to take larger foods, was discolored/pale, and had clamped fins - he has recovered since and needs to put back on weight) velvet will not appear in patches, it covers the whole fish as it is a photosynthesizing parasite (which is why lights out is necessary on top of meds), that kills the fish by also using the fish's blood as a food source.

From what I personally can see (pictures are extremely blurry) it looks like color, dalmations have a bad habit of gaining yellow color if they aren't a pure strain. Velvet is not an intense yellow color, it is a gold shade that can be seen under led and brighter lighting, it does not stay in one spot but covers the whole fish (as it being a blood sucking and photosynthesizing parasite covering more area is beneficial to the parasite to expand itself as much as possible). All treatments used to treat velvet will harm inverts and sometimes plants.
I can try, but she is chilling in the back alone as of now.

If it isn't velvet, the ich medicine won't cause much harm right? Especially at less than half dose?

I can try, but she is chilling in the back alone as of now.

If it isn't velvet, the ich medicine won't cause much harm right? Especially at less than half dose?
Ich medicine likely won't hurt them, but if it is actual medicine (versus something like herbtana which acts as an expellant and prevents the parasite from reattaching to the host fish) it can cause the parasite to build an immunity to the drug used.

Ich medicine likely won't hurt them, but if it is actual medicine (versus something like herbtana which acts as an expellant and prevents the parasite from reattaching to the host fish) it can cause the parasite to build an immunity to the drug used.
I believe it just has malachite green in it..

Latest threads

Top Bottom