Important Dear lord... Velvet?!?!

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Member
Messages
752
Reaction score
580
Location
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10g (currently working on upgrading to a 50g)
How long has the tank been running? Over 3 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 75-78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 3 adult mollies, 5 baby mollies (in breeder net), 2 black kuhli loaches

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 50% each week
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Top Fin water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Just water as of now

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API test strips... Ran out a while ago though
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Previously was-

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5
pH:7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day for mollies, at night for loaches
How much do you feed your fish? 1 flake at a time, 2-3 small shrimp pellets, powdered shrimp pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Top Fin tropical flakes, omega one shrimp pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1.5-2 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Faint yellow/gold patches by eyes and gills
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Yes, some missing scales and got fungus soon after purchase
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Not really for behaviour, still active, eating well. Appearance- small gold patches

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Nothing really except gold patches... Very faint. I'll try to get a picture.

I'll admit- i haven't done a WC in a week and a half. Schools been a b**ch and honors classes suck.

She is a dalmatian lyretail molly. Her name is Dina.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #2
OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Member
Messages
752
Reaction score
580
Location
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
Kinda panicking here... would really appreciate some input!

Sadly I can't treat with salt as I have kuhli loaches, which are scaleless.

I really, really can't lose another fish- I'm already so traumatized,, i just can't.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Member
Messages
752
Reaction score
580
Location
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
Can you provide a picture ?
Here's two pics... It's really hard to see so I circled it.

No flashing/rubbing.

She seems a little lethargic, but shes the calmer one anyway so its hard to tell any difference.

What exactly is fin clamping? She keeps her top fin, the one on her back, down quite a lot normally as well...
 

Attachments

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
1,724
Experience
4 years
I would QT her, yes. Have you added any other fish/plants recently that you didnt quarantine before?
 

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
1,724
Experience
4 years
Is the affected molly scratching up agaisnt anything? Clamped fins is basically how her fins look now, tucked down. Would you say any other fish seem affected? Rubbing against objects or notice small patches on them as well.

Velvet is a contagious parasite, it can be hard to tell if your other fish are already affected but it may be best to go ahead and treat the main tank instead of QT her. Almost all Ich medication contains Malachite Green, which is what helps treat Velvet. It can be found in "API Fungus Cure" as well. Treat according to package
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Member
Messages
752
Reaction score
580
Location
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
Is the affected molly scratching up agaisnt anything? Clamped fins is basically how her fins look now, tucked down. Would you say any other fish seem affected? Rubbing against objects or notice small patches on them as well.

Velvet is a contagious parasite, it can be hard to tell if your other fish are already affected but it may be best to go ahead and treat the main tank instead of QT her. Almost all Ich medication contains Malachite Green, which is what helps treat Velvet. It can be found in "API Fungus Cure" as well. Treat according to package
Ack... ok. Just QTd her.

No, she isn't scratching. None of the other fish are either, and I can't see patches on them... but one is already gold and the other orange. It'd be hard to see.

I have ick medicine. It says to dose half-doses though, as I have scaleless fish.

Also, won't it stain my decor? Will it hurt my plants?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Member
Messages
752
Reaction score
580
Location
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
Is the affected molly scratching up agaisnt anything? Clamped fins is basically how her fins look now, tucked down. Would you say any other fish seem affected? Rubbing against objects or notice small patches on them as well.

Velvet is a contagious parasite, it can be hard to tell if your other fish are already affected but it may be best to go ahead and treat the main tank instead of QT her. Almost all Ich medication contains Malachite Green, which is what helps treat Velvet. It can be found in "API Fungus Cure" as well. Treat according to package
The medicine says that it has benzaldehyde green... not malachite. Will it still do the same thing?

or are they the same thing?
 

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
1,724
Experience
4 years
Bloodfeather said:
Ack... ok. Just QTd her.

No, she isn't scratching. None of the other fish are either, and I can't see patches on them... but one is already gold and the other orange. It'd be hard to see.

I have ick medicine. It says to dose half-doses though, as I have scaleless fish.

Also, won't it stain my decor? Will it hurt my plants?
Yes be cautious with doses if you have scaleless fish , so follow the directions carefully. I do know most fish medications will kill inverts and plants so it may be best to maybe add some silk ones instead for stress. Benzaldehyde green is the same thing as Malachite green ! So yes that works
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Member
Messages
752
Reaction score
580
Location
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
Yes be cautious with doses if you have scaleless fish , so follow the directions carefully. I do know most fish medications will kill inverts and plants so it may be best to maybe add some silk ones instead for stress. Benzaldehyde green is the same thing as Malachite green ! So yes that works
Should I be trying to remove all my plants...? It's a planted tank... this is crazy

I also have 5 few-day-old molly fry in a breeder net in the main tank. Will it hurt them?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Member
Messages
752
Reaction score
580
Location
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
Bloodfeather said:
Should I be trying to remove all my plants...? It's a planted tank... this is crazy

I also have 5 few-day-old molly fry in a breeder net in the main tank. Will it hurt them?
Could I just put all the fish into the QT? I know it's a lot to have 3 mollies and 2 kuhlis in a 3.5g... but the babies and plants?

Edit: Looked it up... it is plant safe.

Found some other threads- it says that babies should be ok, especially at half dose.

Should I just try to treat the whole tank then?
 

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
1,724
Experience
4 years
Whats the exact Ich medication you have? Im afraid a 3.5g is small for all those fish to be treating, it would add more stress.
 

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
1,724
Experience
4 years
Bloodfeather said:
Super ick Cure by API

I think I may just treat the whole tank, supposedly the meds are safe for both plants and babies.,
I looked on the website and it says Its safe for plants so I would go ahead a treat the whole tank then. If it starts to spread to the other fish or gets worse after 1-2 weeks of treatment, then i would switch to a stronger concentration of Malachite Green in liquid form. Dont forget to do water changes as reccomend so the medication doesnt build up and cause an overdose. Also if you have any Activated Carbon in your filter media, remove it all because it will filter out the medication and waste it
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Member
Messages
752
Reaction score
580
Location
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
I looked on the website and it says Its safe for plants so I would go ahead a treat the whole tank then. If it starts to spread to the other fish or gets worse after 1-2 weeks of treatment, then i would switch to a stronger concentration of Malachite Green in liquid form. Dont forget to do water changes as reccomend so the medication doesnt build up and cause an overdose. Also if you have any Activated Carbon in your filter media, remove it all because it will filter out the medication and waste it
Ok... gotta tell my parents first. They won't be happy but they have to know.

How do I check for carbon?

Also... do you think it really is velvet? if so... that terrifies me as it supposedly has a very low survival rate...
 

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
1,724
Experience
4 years
Bloodfeather said:
Ok... gotta tell my parents first. They won't be happy but they have to know.

How do I check for carbon?

Also... do you think it really is velvet? if so... that terrifies me as it supposedly has a very low survival rate...
Activated carbon will look like tiny black rocks.
Screenshot_20200520-190448_Gallery.jpg


They are either placed in separate mesh bags or directly in the filter media. Do you have HOB filter ? Or a sponge filter ? Sponge filters dont require activated carbon.

For Velvet, usually the gold dusting is in bigger patches and the fish will scratch itself against rocks or decor, they will also glass surf , become lethargic, not eat . If she has any of those symptoms besides the gold dusting, then im afraid it is velvet
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
187
Guests online
2,945
Total visitors
3,132

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom