Dear Fellow Fishlorer, What Is Your Language?

Cold&warm

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello!

One thing that - in my opinion - makes Fishlore extra interesting, is the fact that we come from so many different parts of the world.
Perhaps we could share some of it, illustrating to others something - anything - of our own language and/or culture or from another culture we have come into contact with.

For example.
My native Dutch qualifies as a Germanic language.
In high school our teacher told us that the oldest known phrase in the Dutch language was:
Hebban olla vogala nestas hagunnan hinase hic
enda thu uuat unbidan uue nu.
(ca. 1100)
(All birds have started [making] nests, except for me
and you, what are we waiting for?)

Only very recently I read by chance in Wikipedia about a much older text (from 510), contained in a less attractive context, a law code: .
Although less poetic, it surely is at least as valuable: it gives freedom to a serf.

Many of us, Fishlorers, live in far-off countries.
My maternal grandfather's mum was a Caribbean Indian from Suriname, she lived in the mid 1800s.
If I could, I would do anything to learn her language, which is still spoken, but - I am afraid - faces extinction.
Who knows someone would be willing to give us a glimpse of the (more or less exotic) language of the country where he or she lives...

Thanks!

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Your last part made me think of something interesting. I’m a descendent of Captain James Cook, a well known British explorer from the 1700’s. He’s coined for mapping a lot of New Zealand, Australia, and Hawaii. He ended up being killed by Native Hawaiians. The Cook name still lives on, they’re predominantly in Massachusetts, USA. Was just there about a year ago.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I live in Guatemala, I speak English and Spanish, I am American of Irish-English-Scottish decent.

OP
Cold&warm

Cold&warm

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquaticJ said:
Your last part made me think of something interesting. I’m a descendent of Captain James Cook, a well known British explorer from the 1700’s. He’s coined for mapping a lot of New Zealand, Australia, and Hawaii. He ended up being killed by Native Hawaiians. The Cook name still lives on, they’re predominantly in Massachusetts, USA. Was just there about a year ago.
Wow! Sounds like a historical movie or tv series...
My great-grandmother's Portuguese father was also a seafarer, as was in his younger years my granddad himself, at the beginning of the 1900s. I prefer to remain (very) close to shore for a very long swim and even that is now a thing of the past.

AJE said:
I live in Guatemala, I speak English and Spanish, I am American of Irish-English-Scottish decent.
Guatemala must be a beautiful country. Are you from the (partly) "Hispanic" part of the USA - California/New Mexico/Texas?
I love the Hispanic people I met and speak some Spanish.
Every now and then I meet Irish people here. Some speak Gaelic, very beautiful to listen to.
I like several songs of Enya, especially these:
Not a consumer of alcoholic beverages myself - a matter of DNA, my parents were born in Indonesia - I like to know about wines and liqueurs. Thus I discovered that the best way to put any Scotch person at ease, is by asking about his or her favorite whiskey. This way I got quite some expert information.

New Threads