Dealing with ICH

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by sambofish, Dec 26, 2012.

1. sambofishValued MemberMember

Question: How does raising the temperature to 86-89 (various links say raise to 89 to kill ich) affect scaleless fish like pleco's & catfish? Will the survive in the tank when its a couple of degrees outside the recommend tank temperature? ie the catfish recommended temperature is 79 degrees. What happens to the plants in a planted tank?

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Curing ICH Naturally

I have administered the heat treatment on a wide range of fish, including cold water and scale less fish. I have never had a problem with any of them coping with the high (86+) temps.

No idea about the plants.

3. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I'm not knowledgeable on the plant scenario, but I do know that with my 2 Pictus Cats, 86-88 F did not change anything at all.

4. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

In order for the heat treatment to be successful it must be started with the earliest signs of the disease. Like Jaysee has stated, even outside the recommended temperature for certain species, the short term heat can be easily tolerated with the addition of extra oxygen lines.

As for plants, coldwater plants may not survive, but most will tolerate it for the 2 week period.

5. sambofishValued MemberMember

Catsma- well you know I've been having problems with my tank (this is an understatement), I noticed on Monday that my black neons had white spots. So I did the research and automaticlly raised the temp to 86 degrees. I am was just worried what it would do to my plants, pleco's and catfish. I have already lost 2-3 tetra's but that could be because of the stress from the previous week.

6. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

In looking at the list of plants and fish in your profile, I would not be concerned. Your plants are not coldwater specific. And while Rainbows are cold water, they can easily tolerate the elevated temps. Plecos, catfish, swords, anubias, ferns, etc should be unaffected. Hopefully you'll get ahead of this disease and be able to gain control of your tank soon.

7. sambofishValued MemberMember

Catsma- that is good to know, I will let you know how it comes along. I have moved the heater to the middle of the tank to better heat the tank all round. Could the raising of the tank create an algae bloom? Funny thing the angelfish and gouramis seem to like this temperature. They are really moving around.

8. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Curing ICH Naturally

The warm water will make fish more active, just like colder water will slow them down.

9. sambofishValued MemberMember

On my 2nd week, so far I lost 4 Madagascar rainbows last week. Today during a WC a gourami. I have introduced garlic laced food to the tank which seems to be helping along with the increased heat and WC (I do one at 50% every 3 days now). I've noticed a small white feather substances floating through out the tank. It's not attached to anything and after awhile it settles to the bottom and disappears until I do the WC. Does anyone know what this is? Before the ich outbreak I was dealing with a ph issue. So I added crushed coral in a bag in my canister filter.

Before the WC today I took readings and they are:

GH-3 drops
    KH-4 drops
    PH-6.6
    High range ph-7.4
    Ammonia-0.25
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate-10

My nitrates have spiked to 10. Should I be worried.

10. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Curing ICH Naturally

You should not be worried about the nitrates, but rather the ammonia. That's what kills.

11. sambofishValued MemberMember

Jaysee- cool, well the WC fixed that haha, any idea what the white feather stuff is?

12. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Curing ICH Naturally

Sorry, not without a picture or video. I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're describing

13. sambofishValued MemberMember

Jaysee- I'd figured as much. So I took some pics. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

14. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Is it coming out of the filter, by any chance? When was the last time you cleaned it?

15. sambofishValued MemberMember

I cleaned the filter last week and replaced my carbon with purigen. In fact I did a major change in my canister. I know have a per filter sponge on my intake. My canister now consist of sponges at the bottom followed by biomax, enehim substrate, crushed coral and Purigen with water polishing pads between everything (I know I'd o'd on the polishing pads, but it made the water look so clear..haha).

16. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Hmm, I don't know.

Polishing pads really ought to be the last stage of filtration. Putting them in the middle of the filter like that will clog them up real quick and compromise the efficiency of the filter. I would take care of that sooner than later.

17. sambofishValued MemberMember

I will fix that next WC, which is this Friday. I'm thinking maybe its the garlic that's causing it. It was never there before I added that.

18. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

There is a great deal of trial and error in fish keeping. When you don't know what's causing something, eliminating variables is the only way to rule things out, which will hopefully at least point you in the right direction to look.