How Do I Dealing With Fish During College Breaks

ahouseofscales

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi! I'm going to be going to college this year and I'm curious how everyone cares for their fish during breaks. I am planning on bringing my dwarf gourami Tango with me. He is living in a 10 gallon right now but I was planning on upgrading him to either the 13 gallon that my sister has or a new 20 gallon when I move into the dorms. I am wondering if I should bring him home with me over the longer breaks or if I should find someone to care for him. I am leaning more towards bringing him with me but I am worried that the frequent trips will be too stressful. I also wouldn't really want to bring the entire tank back and forth with me. I have read about people keeping two tanks and moving the fish and filter back and forth which could work, but I also have a planted tank and I am wondering how people deal with the plants over breaks. I could bring the plants with me but I feel like ripping up the root system every few months would be damaging for the plants. Any and all advice is appreciated!!!

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! I'm going to be going to college this year and I'm curious how everyone cares for their fish during breaks. I am planning on bringing my dwarf gourami Tango with me. He is living in a 10 gallon right now but I was planning on upgrading him to either the 13 gallon that my sister has or a new 20 gallon when I move into the dorms. I am wondering if I should bring him home with me over the longer breaks or if I should find someone to care for him. I am leaning more towards bringing him with me but I am worried that the frequent trips will be too stressful. I also wouldn't really want to bring the entire tank back and forth with me. I have read about people keeping two tanks and moving the fish and filter back and forth which could work, but I also have a planted tank and I am wondering how people deal with the plants over breaks. I could bring the plants with me but I feel like ripping up the root system every few months would be damaging for the plants. Any and all advice is appreciated!!!
I would just get someone to care for him while you are gone. It would safe you from the hassle and him from the stress. Also make sure to upgrade him to the 20 gallon.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 61 65.6%

Top Bottom