Dead Snail?

1. Esimm03

Esimm03 Well Known Member Member

Hi,

this morning i woke up and saw that my snail was on its back with all of its insides out (see image). Last night it was alive and travelling around quite fast. I had to pick it from the outside of the tank (as he went through the small gap in my lid) but he was only out for a muinet at max.

I've had him for about 2 months now (he was shipped to me) but I thought they lived longer.

Here is a pic 1491554262194.jpg

Thanks,
    Ethan

P.s I picked him up and his insides didn't shrink in, which they normally do .

2. littlemissdiva9

littlemissdiva9 Valued Member Member

Following this happened to a month old snail I gave my mom

3. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Did it survive ?

4. littlemissdiva9

littlemissdiva9 Valued Member Member

No

5. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Have you tested your water? Sometimes when they climb out of a tank it can be because of poor water quality.

I had one die probably a week ago, but I wasn't sure until last night.

If he's still alive he should move if you poke him(not his shell)

6. jackson tropicals

jackson tropicals New Member Member

dont leave it in there so no dieases will get in the water

7. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Hi,

I tested the water yesterday (before a 25% water change)

Should I move him to a glass with water and clove oil in? (To make sure)

The water doesn't smell (I know that when they die they stink out the water)

Ethan

8. t

tin pickles Valued Member Member

Sniff the snail.... Not the water lol.

I have had hundreds of snails and never had any of them leave the tank. If he is on his back with his insides hanging out he was probably stuck. And exhausted from trying to flip back over. Stressed from being stuck on his back.

When my snails get hurt from the filter intake tube I will put them in a breeder net for a week to keep them from injuring themselves more, also so I can see if they are active and eating still.

Why would you put him in clove oil?

9. AngelTheGypsy

It took mine several days to smell, and I didn't notice an ammonia spike. One thing I did notice but didn't know what is was were white specks around the snail.

[​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Hi,

So he might just be stressed or tired?

Should I flip him over and put him on something like an alge wafer for food?

I said clove oil because if I took him out and he was still alive he would dry up and die as if I put him in clove oil, if he was alive he wouldn't suffer.

Thanks,
    Ethan

Hi,

I picked him up to put him in qurentine when he shriveld up (partially)

Is he recovering, if so what should i do?

Thanks,
    Ethan

11. t

If he's alive he will be ok with clean water and time.

12. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Ok,

I'm going away next week and have a 'tank Sitter' to feed them. I'm going to do a 50-75 percent water change before I go. Should I keep him in quarentie or put him back in the display tank?

Thanks,
    Ethan

13. t

To be honest, most tank sitters seem to over feed and cause huge tank issues. You should leave him isolated till you get back in case he dies. And be very specific about feeding schedule for fish so they're isn't any parameter spikes.

14. AngelTheGypsy

A lot of people use pill dispensers for fish food to keep sitters from overfeeding.

15. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Hi,

I've measured some food into zip lock bags so they can empty out every day into the tank

Ethan

16. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Update,

Woke up to a yellow tank

The snail has compleatly closed up, I did a water test and the ammonia is a little high

Did a 50% water change and a filter clean out.

Ethan

P.s I know your not suppose to rinse the spounge off in tap water as it will kill the bacteria. My filter is half filled with biological media and the other is filled with spounges, can I clean the spounges under tap water as I'll still have loads of bacteria left on the bio balls?

17. AllySaturn

AllySaturn Valued Member Member

Sniff him again quickly

18. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

He smells

Is there any way I can keep his shell if he's dead ?

Ethan

19. AllySaturn

AllySaturn Valued Member Member

I mean you can scoop out his shell but IMHO I couldn't do it on a moral basis. He really is dead. The ammonia spike was I sight of it but the smell seals the deal

20. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Yes I agree, it seems like they should be buried together. I had a horned nerite once and one day he vanished from his shell.

I might put him in a bit of clove oil (I couldn't bare burying him if there's a small chance he's alive.

Ethan