Dead Snail Disposal

junrei

My gold inca (mystery) snail has passed but I'm not sure what to do with the body, especially since it is a large one. Do I containerize it and put it in the regular garbage? I've been keeping an eye on it and I'm quite sure it's dead. I've had it since August 2018 and I got it when it was already big, so I think it was just old. The other (nerite) snails in my tank are fine. Just want to make sure I properly dispose of it and wasn't seeing that information in the guide threads here. Thanks.

FinalFins

You could put it in a zip lock baggie and throw it away or a paper bag(biodegradable ) or bury them

peddidle

I read the other day that you should be able to tell if a snail is dead by how it smells. If it doesn't smell something terrible then it isn't dead. (The smell is supposed to be from the ammonia they give off when they die--not a smell that can be ignored.)

Dewclaw83

When my larger snails die, I either pitch them in a woodchuck hole (let those monsters deal with the stink, y’know?) or I drop them in the creek on my property. Probably not the safest thing environmentally, so I only do it if there’s too much snow to find a woodchuck hole. Figure that way some little darter or crayfish can munch on it a bit at least.

sfsamm

I live in the desert I pitch them in a neglected corner of my garden.... by the end of the day the fire ants (why that corner is neglected) have disposed of everything but the shell and the shell doesn't stick around long either I think the crows might pack them off.

kallililly1973

Always either put them in the garbage or bury them never ever put them in any waterways no matter what

junrei

Alright, thanks for the help. I don't think burial is an option (apartment) and it's too cold for insects right now. I double bagged it in ziplocks and will put it in the municipal garbage. I suppose things like salmon skins go in the garbage too and I have to imagine that smells worse after a month.

Latest threads

Top Bottom