Dead Shrimp Or Molt? Help

1. DHIWZ Member Member

Help me!

Last night after doing a water change my Amano Shrimp seemed fine, but this morning when I went to check on them I discovered a couple of "bodies." They're Amano Shrimp sized with legs, whiskers, etc. but they seem transparent and don't have eyes or the dark markings. At first I thought they were dead and I suck but after poking around a bit online I discovered that shrimp molt and I might just be looking at exoskeletons. If they are molts however I can't seem to locate at least one of my Amano Shrimp--I have 4 but only accounted for 3 this morning.

Pictures attached, thanks in advance for the help. (Sorry for the potato I call a camera)

IMG_2841.JPG

2. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

It looks like a molt. Dead shrimp turn pink and opaque (like cooked shrimp...sorry for the weird image). However, if it's still very "filled out" (whereas exoskeletons easily collapse in because they're just shells), it could be a recent death, like an hour or two before you saw them (dead shrimp turn pink/opaque quite quickly)

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

A dead shrimp will be solid to the touch. An exoskeleton will collapse if you squeeze it.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed, looks like a molt to me. Leave the molts in there; shrimp will consume them to reuse the nutrients.

5. Yves Member Member

Yep I would say a molt.

6. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Molt for sure, you can tell by how its back is lifted and split open :)

7. Jayd976 Member Member

molt

8. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Definitely a molt, like stated above dead shrimp look pretty much like cooked shrimp. And most my amanos molts are like creepy full hollows lol occasionally even looking as if they are still standing up lol

9. SixThreeOh Member Member

I had one molt on the way home from the LFS... I was so mad that one died less than an hour after I got it. After a count I had the same amount as I originally had. It's still stressful each time I see a molt.

10. smee82 Well Known Member Member

A Molt without a doubt

11. Noviceinwisconsin Initiate Member

Yup, that's molt. You'll get used to seeing it. :)