Dead shrimp cause

eligri

Hey everybody!

Found a dead cherry shrimp today, looked intact. Might have found one a couple days ago also, but could have just been a shell.

I moved my old 5 gallon tank over to a new 14 gallon tank. Same filter material, water source, etc. Move was done a week ago.
The new tank has some new driftwood, plants and a lava stone. The lavastone had some smell to it, but likely just an earthy smell. Tested a shrimp with it in a small bucket for 6-7 hours, and the shrimp was fine & eating as usual.

Here's the thing though; this new tank has been having a very clear protein film on the surface. I've been doing 30-50% WC daily since the move, which has helped.

What should I check to make sure this/these deaths are normal?
It's a quite large and old colony. Likely around 100+ shrimp of various ages. Plenty of algae on decor for shrimp to eat. Feed a few tiny shrimp pellets and tiny piece of zucchini every couple days, mostly as a little supplement.

Cheers

Edit: rest of shrimp are normal, eating and swimming along as usual.

richiep

Moving from 5-14gal is a dramatic increase for shrimp and will shock them with will intern kill them if the cant adjust properly,
Your 30-50% daily water changes is another killer for shrimp if not done correct and by that I mean water temperature the same and dripped into the tank
A shrimp in a bucked won't give you the correct results you're looking for,things like this brought in from the wild could contain anything and leech back into the tank over time,hopefully you'll be ok there
Any more deaths will be down to the water issues I mentioned
Don't do any more water changes,leave things settle so they can adjust,

Upvote 0

eligri

Moving from 5-14gal is a dramatic increase for shrimp and will shock them with will intern kill them if the cant adjust properly,
Your 30-50% daily water changes is another killer for shrimp if not done correct and by that I mean water temperature the same and dripped into the tank
A shrimp in a bucked won't give you the correct results you're looking for,things like this brought in from the wild could contain anything and leech back into the tank over time,hopefully you'll be ok there
Any more deaths will be down to the water issues I mentioned
Don't do any more water changes,leave things settle so they can adjust,
I'll let them be then!
Rest seem fine :)
Used old tank water when swapping, so didnt upset chemistry.

I always match temperature within +-1C.

Upvote 0

richiep

Well done i had to mention it as I didn't know what you had done.
The only upset then would have been the large daily water changes
Hopefully leaving things settle will get you back on track
Keep us updated

Upvote 0

eligri

Well done i had to mention it as I didn't know what you had done.
The only upset then would have been the large daily water changes
Hopefully leaving things settle will get you back on track
Keep us updated
Had to move them back to the 20l tank due incompatible tank-mates in the 54l.

Tried to use 90% old tank water, 50% old filter media and enough old decorations for them to have some algae to eat. It however has new substrate. Any way to help them survive the following days?
Had a small death-wave (10-15%) last change, but that was probably due to all the waterchanges.

Just let them be, or anything more I can do? Should I add some plant nutriance for a quicker biofilm? Or will likely a few sq. dm of really old rocks + 5-6 very old moss balls be enough to last until rest of tank grows old? Guessing there are 100-150 shrimp and 2 baby pleco's.

Added an almond leaf, might help I guess.

Edit: added some more rocks from previous tank. A few dm2 of slate-stone from old tank now, a couple small lava-stones, along with 6 or so mossballs. Should provide a decent amount of biofilm for them to graze on hopefully :)

Edit 2: Ordered some bacter AE. This should quickly give a full biofilm, correct? Or do I need to find even more old decor (which butchers my other tanks appearence...)?

Upvote 0

richiep

You may well have disrupted things again with another move but you've given them the best chance by doing what you've done
I was going to mention bactor ae but it's on the cards,well done,
When it arrives put ½ a measure of the scoop provided in a bottle with tank water and give a good shake then pour it around the surface
Hope things work out

Upvote 0

eligri

You may well have disrupted things again with another move but you've given them the best chance by doing what you've done
I was going to mention bactor ae but it's on the cards,well done,
When it arrives put ½ a measure of the scoop provided in a bottle with tank water and give a good shake then pour it around the surface
Hope things work out
So far so good. Been 6 hours or so since the move, and all shrimp I can see are grazing normally :)

The Bactor arrives in 3 or so days, so they should be fine. Atleast 30% of the prior surface was moved in the form of decor, and that is quite a bit (used slatestone as bottom substrate, so even just 30% is quite a bit).

Upvote 0

eligri

richiep
Ok, so still can't see any dead shrimp. I have however noticed some swimming around rather erratically, but this is only in the area of the tank with a strong waterflow; so I'm guessing that could be the cause?

Upvote 0

richiep

Either that or a female as moulted and the tales are on a high
The move could have triggered a force molt which is ok

Upvote 0

eligri

Either that or a female as moulted and the tales are on a high
The move could have triggered a force molt which is ok
I don't see any molt floating around, but a lot of small cracks it could fall into I guess.

See them swimming in other areas also.. But not like swimming around and around, rather a low swim and re-attaching to other areas of the substrate.
Well, not going to do any more major redecorations to try to match old tank, switching substrate or swapping tank would probably do more harm than good at this point, I assume?

Upvote 0

richiep

Best thing to do now is let the tank mature over a month with just 15% water changes weekly
If you're clear of deaths for a few weeks the you can if you want add more shtimp

Upvote 0

eligri

Best thing to do now is let the tank mature over a month with just 15% water changes weekly
If you're clear of deaths for a few weeks the you can if you want add more shtimp
So no use swapping stuff around anymore eh? Some bacter ae and cross fingers?

Upvote 0

richiep

The less you touch things now in the early stages will pay off for you
Reading what you've added and bactor ae when it arrives should put them in good sted

Upvote 0

eligri

The less you touch things now in the early stages will pay off for you
Reading what you've added and bactor ae when it arrives should put them in good sted
Did a 15% WC and topped off 20% that had evaporated. Bit too much, but wanted to swap a bit of the water also (since evaporation wont remove ammonia that could appear from the filter swap).

Next week, should I do the same or skip the WC to avoid a shock? Or spread them out?

Would have spread them out this time, but going abroad tomorrow morning, so couldnt.

Edit: and just to clarify, I have extremely good tap water, and match temp within +-1C (most often +-0.5C).
Also, a bit curious. Do shrimp run a high risk of catching disease from sick fish?
Moved some plants from a tank that I was using to QT over to my shrimp tank (no meds, but some small doses of ferts).

Upvote 0

richiep

Fish don't spread disease to shrimp and vis versa
Do weekly water changes of 15 % and you'll be good
Top off mid week this is what I do every week

Upvote 0

eligri

richiep
Did a 20-25% change a few days ago. Spotted 2 dead shrimp now, both white:ish and quite large. Not sure if age or some form of shock? Any way to tell?

Did another 10-15% wc now incase they rotted a bit in the tank.

I've been matching temps to +-0.5C, so shouldn't be an issue there. No changes to the tapwater.

On the plus side I do see a lot of baby shrimp again, so they must be doing pretty well atleast!

Upvote 0

richiep

When you get any dead take photos of them while still in the tank

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FeederGuppies
  • Question
Replies
Views
Crimson_687